The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Max HP from Stock Fuel Line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTurboTuner

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2006
Rslv, Arkansas
I've searched and read through enough threads to make me sick.
& I google it looking for AN-size flow rates too... and so many people giving such low #'s It just doesnt seem right.

Anyways Im looking for the limits of the stock 2g Fuel line.

I few weeks ago I was flowing around 64lb/min and seeing that Im running out of fuel. I was on a stock fuel system except rewired Walbro 255, and 1000cc injectors (950 to be true). Also using stock fuel filter & AFPR. I exceeded what most people said was possible with that set-up. I was lucky to get as much power out of it as I did.

I've upgraded to Fuel Lab Filter, 6AN fuel lines to Stock fuel Rail, 6AN lines to Fuel Lab AFPR. Im now waiting on my 2150's & Walbro 450 to arrive (should be here mid week). Only thing that will be stock is the Main Fuel Line once all is installed.

Anybody with actual experience know... Whats the HP Limit on the Stock Fuel Line?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like most DSM'ers Im on a budget and have a list of parts... I would have already bought upgrade lines, but that last little bit of coin wasnt yet available.

If nobody hasnt already found out what the Max HP of the stock Fuel lines is ...I guess I'll report back when I find out;)

No experience yet as I plan to keep the stock fuel lines with my Holset setup. However, I can tell you the banjo fitting and fuel filter are known to be the most restrictive part. A tank-to-rail kit will open up the fuel system quite a bit, but you may have to be the one to find the true limitations of the fuel lines themselves.

But man, 64 lbs/min on bone stock fuel system (minus pump and injectors) is impressive. I didn't expect it to handle that much.

I REALLY would like to know this as well. This is a great question! Sorry I'm not of any help but I figure bumping the thread should do some good LOL.

I want to get the tank to rail kit and have a 8AN feed and a 6AN return but I would like to know what the 6AN is capable of flowing at max as I hear changing to 8AN is a PITA.

I'd be curious to know this also. I was running a BB 6262 along with a Walbro 400, 1650's on a long rod 2.4. I'm going to go bigger on the turbo and injectors while keeping the Walbro 400. I actually just had two 8AN fittings welded on the stock fuel pump assembly to replace those hardlines as I wasn't trying to go the Full Blown Walbro duel 255 route. Also going to be upgrading to a STM Fuel Tank To Rail kit.

But man, 64 lbs/min on bone stock fuel system (minus pump and injectors) is impressive. I didn't expect it to handle that much.

I didnt have any idea how much it would flow (ppl always say xxxHP, but not many actually have experience running it to its limits).

Most people said the 255, and 1000cc injectors would only do a little over 500whp. Im pretty sure I was over that.

In retrospect yeah its pretty impressive.
If I was only seeking 500awhp, then I would have any reason to change the set-up (except maybe the filter just for security).

I SHOULD add that I was spraying a 50/50 water/methanol mix with that too(about 780cc;s). I was seeing AFR's in the high 10's, leaning out to 11.2 So without the water/meth injection it probably would have been too lean to work. The methanol was increasing the fuel flow to some degree.

I've heard that the stock fuel filter is the most restrictive part in the mix, and that simply replacing it with a aftermarket high flow filter would help a good bit.

Wouldn't upgrading the hard lines be more cost effective and durable over braided hose?

Just a suggestion to maybe not worry about it, buy whatever size hardline and rent a tube bender, buy a couple fittings and wala. Upgrade for far less coin?

Plus then you don't have to worry about grit in the braided house wearing a hole in it...

Wouldn't upgrading the hard lines be more cost effective and durable over braided hose?

Just a suggestion to maybe not worry about it, buy whatever size hardline and rent a tube bender, buy a couple fittings and wala. Upgrade for far less coin?

Plus then you don't have to worry about grit in the braided house wearing a hole in it...
I know that's what Dave Buscher does he makes hard lines due to durability and long life. I've had a -8 braided line n my car for over 15 years and no issues so far. I don't know if its cheaper or not.

Ceedawg, those -8 lines that you ran in your car, were they both the fuel feed and return or just the feed? I'm still very highly considering the -8 fuel feed.

Ceedawg, those -8 lines that you ran in your car, were they both the fuel feed and return or just the feed? I'm still very highly considering the -8 fuel feed.
The -8 line is my feed line from tank to rail then from rail to aftermarket fpr. The stock feed line I am using as the return line now from the fpr to tank. No issues. You can even go with a -6 feed and be good.

The -8 line is my feed line from tank to rail. The stock feed line I am using as the return line now. No issues. You can even go with a -6 feed and be good.
Did you have great difficulty in installing the -8 line? I'm assuming you welded the an AN fitting to your pump as well?

Did you have great difficulty in installing the -8 line? I'm assuming you welded the an AN fitting to your pump as well?
I had a friend of mine with a shop do it, he welded the -8 AN fittings for me on both ends of the fuel rail and then also welded an AN fitting into the fuel pump assembly. If you are good at welding it is not a difficult job at all. The -8 line is tie wrapped securely under the car.

I just bought all the 8an line and needed fittings for the feed today. Using the oem feed line for the return line is a good idea! Just curious, what exactly did you have to do for this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back