The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G MANUAL TRANSMISSION BILLET BEARING HOUSING

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've installed a ton of them. What do you want to know? I've put them on everything from 600-1400+whp cars doing 7s.

I just wonder if is it as good as in the description and if it makes sense to install it in the car like 400-500 whp ?

It will be some benefit to that little power if you have bearing plate wear issues, or If you were doing severe duty racing with higher continuous temps. It is important to have all new tapered roller bearings and shimmed to proper bearing preload. If you were running higher preload values, the billet plate would handle that better than the cast piece as well. It would also be important to increase your gear oil viscosity to a quality 75-85w140 like Redline 75w140NS gear oil to have higher film strength and protect the components better.

I want to jump into this topic some. It is known that generally above a certain power level many people start going to a straight cut gear set. I've never been convinced that the gears were the only contributor. I've seen the flex of the bearing plate on the bench when shimming (accidently had wrong shim). It's seems to me that any additional radial play created by axial flex could be potentially disastrous.
I suppose there is no practical way to objectively test. I say all this wondering is a billet plate would give a little more breathing room for a "lower" hp car. It's certainly cheaper than a ppg gearset.
Thoughts people?

Many go plenty fast on stock gear sets. Just have to be aware when you start playing with fire. I have been for a while now and have hurt a few trans over the years. I am currently saving to get a ppg straight cut dog box done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back