The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Make your own manifold heat shield

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had .020" aluminum left over from my radiator diffuser install so you will need a sheet approximately 16"X16" depending if you do the upper and lower shield.

So lets get started with some cardboard to make some templates. First lay it over the manifold and find the holes for mounting it. Next take measurements of how long you want the shield to be, how wide it will be, a provision for the external gate if you have one, etc.
It should look something like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My cardboard was a little short so i decided to make another and add flaps to aid in heat protection. This is easy just measure how long you want the flap to be on the passenger side, the driver side is a little tricky but really its just smaller.

Now its about tracing your templates with accuracy. Once you've done that i took a cut off wheel and carefully cut the lines. If you have access to a shear, its 10x better. If you use a cut off wheel you will have to file the edges -easy. If you use a tin snips make sure to do so in areas that won't be seen, otherwise it looks like crap and tends to bend the metal as you cut. However you can flatten it with a rubber mallet.
To make clean bends i just placed a straight piece of wood underneath my traced line and bent it over with my hand.

To do this project you just need a few hand tools and a cut off wheel and some patience.

Two pieces for easy removal.

I was surprised that the aluminum helped trap in a lot of the heat radiating off the manifold and turbo. I could stick my hand between the turbo and radiator without feeling my hand on fire. I also noticed this helped with my coolant temps. Dropping from 206-209 to 03-206 *F

After 10k the aluminum began to distort slightly, but I figured this would happen anyway. I just needed something temporary to trap in some heat. Like said you can use your own type of material.

Anyway i gave in for the JMFAB heat shield cause it's top notch.
Just some comparison pics, maybe to help with fabrication ideas. One thing i would have made different is the length extending to the cylinder head, JM ended it short, i went right up to it. Also JM covers one bolt hole that is unused, which i found to be perfect for my lower heat shield...but i didn't want to ruin my beautiful new heat shield.

I felt this being a rough product i created there would be some flaws and potentially cause some PK issues. Make sure you do a lot of test fitting and such and your guaranteed to have a quality product at low cost. Thanks for looking!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back