The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Made an EvoX UICP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamble97

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2006
small town, Illinois
Fitment came out perfect, welds not no perfect. Note to self do not buy intercooler piping that is already anodized. Made 2 prototypes last night and going to make a 3rd when new pipe shows up.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'll get better pics later. Or my friend will take them and send them to me since it's his car.

Welding aluminum pipe seems to be one of my most challenging tig welding tasks. Sometimes it goes great and others is like WTF??

I think it was anodized that is why. What I have found is that if you get a piece of aluminum pipe NOT anodized it welds great out of the box without any cleaning! If it's anodized it sucks a fatty.
When you strike your arc and it goes black then it needs to be wire brushed and wiped with acetone. I don't like the wire brush because of all the fine scratches it leaves.
Maybe if I get a powder coater and over i can clean it all up myself and coat it so it will have a good final result. IDK.

As you know, the outlet on the turbo is quite small. Some kits jump to the larger diameter in a sudden change; some kits use a fancy silicone connector that increases to the new diameter over an 8" or so distance; some replace the turbo's outlet with the inverted funnel.

What I would love to see is a pipe that slowly increases in diameter over a 2' distance. Can something like that be made?

I'm sure it can, but I have no idea how to do it.

Given the market, it must be difficult or not worth it. Of what exists, the replacement outlet funnel by T1R is my favorite. No idea if it's actually better than the sudden-step stuff.

Welding aluminum pipe seems to be one of my most challenging tig welding tasks. Sometimes it goes great and others is like WTF??

I came up with puting a strip of brass tubing on the inside of the tubing at the weld joint. Weld up the pipe and remove the brass strip. It creates a nice smooth inside and no need to back purge the pipe.

As you know, the outlet on the turbo is quite small. Some kits jump to the larger diameter in a sudden change; some kits use a fancy silicone connector that increases to the new diameter over an 8" or so distance; some replace the turbo's outlet with the inverted funnel.

What I would love to see is a pipe that slowly increases in diameter over a 2' distance. Can something like that be made?

0_0

Megaphone, Mild Steel 1.50" to 3.75", 05 Degree 28.0" Length 18g Columbia River Mandrel Bending

http://www.gearheadsonline.ca/shop/image.php?type=D&id=334

That cast aluminum piece is the outlet funnel? That's pretty darn good. It would be increidbly difficult to get an expanding bend like that to go much further. It's also not good to keep it small during the bend, and as we've already been over the sudden expansion is not good. I don't feel like it would get much better than that piece without a tremendous amount of experimenting.

Intercooler piping is one of my favorite things to make, especialy when it is very short, or long and straight. Good job!

Thanks, ya it took a little bit longer to come up with the design and cut and fit. Little longer than I thought but it worked out.

As you can see in that picture, T1R always includes a new turbo outlet that is an inverted funnel. But they are expanding to the new diameter rather quickly and, in the case of the RalliArt kit, they don't do all of the expanding in the new outlet. I realize that expanding while making the corner to turn towards the the front of the car will be difficult to impossible, but if someone could do this, it would be a great thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back