The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

loud vibration 2800 - 3800 rpms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

210 dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
san antonio, Texas
ok after all my research about how balance shafts work in our cars im pretty convinced that what happened to me last night at the track is in relation to the BS. i just want a second opinion from someone who knows these engines pretty well. theres a crazy loud vibration at around 2500 - 3500 rpms. ive tryed to pin point it but it kinda seems there is no one little spot vibrating. its just coming from all over the intake side of my engine. at first i thought it was the exhuast heat sheild on the down pipe ,but i took it off and its still there. also i noticed a bit of power gain. kinda like im running no BS belt. you know, less resistance. could it be possiable i broke the belt. and i also have all this oil coming from the oil tree (cooler) and around my lower timing cover. and i was wondering if the 4g63 had a front main seal. and if so could that be were all the oil is coming from?
i know it sounds like a stupid question to ask if it has a front main seal ,but i cant find it in my Chilton's manual or my factory manual on disc. dose anybody have any idea what happened to my poor little car?

You have described the classic sign of balance shafts out of phase or missing the belt.
See http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...aft-belt-merged-6-7-cutting-belts-remove.html for the reference thread on the subject.

The timing belt usually breaks because the bearings fail. If your balance shaft belt broke while driving and spared the timing belt you should buy a lotto ticket today. Just hope the broken belt isn't bouncing around under the cover trying to reach the timing belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what happened to me. It is most likely your bs belt which snapped keeping only one the balance shafts spinning. Try to listen to where the sound is comming from with a mechanics stethescope. Look under the upper timing cover for little shreds of belt mixed with a oil.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back