The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Looking at a 91 GSX.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yozsi

Probationary Member
Feb 8, 2006
portage, Indiana
hey folks,
im looking at a 1991 gsx. the seller is asking 3800 but i think he will take 3k. here are the specs:

JDM CYCLONE motor with 40,000miles
all the mods

THE CAR IS TUNED BY SPL TUNNING AND IS A 12s CAR.
ASKING $3800 OBO

ENGINE
EVO III 16g
srt-4 front mount
255 fule pump
560cc injectors
ls1 mass air flow
mbc
afc2
apexi boost gauge
blitz turbo timer
afr gauge automeater
egt gauge automeater
3'' turbo back
oil cooler
aluminum radiator
slim fans

TRANNY
ACT 2600 Clutch

SUSPENTION
KYB AGX ALL AROUND AND EIBACH SPRING
1997 GSX WHEELS

i dont think its running 12's at 18psi but whatever. he says its clean, has a good sound system, and has a bunch of other parts not listed. think i should pick it up? or look at it?

sounds like a good deal, check it out...test drive it, run compression test and ask him if he has any paperwork to back up all the work he has done to his car as far as motor purchase/clutch install (when it was done and who did it)

Its definately worth looking at, just make sure to check your vitals out. With those types of mods check out the engine head to toe. Sounds like a deal to me though. Good Luck

cool, will do. he even offered to compression test it while i look at it. he said all the work was done by a place called SPL tuning near chicago. he also swears it does 12's but i highly doubt it.

yozsi said:
cool, will do. he even offered to compression test it while i look at it. he said all the work was done by a place called SPL tuning near chicago. he also swears it does 12's but i highly doubt it.

12's is defintely not out of the question, but it still needs a lot more building to run these kind of times constantly and safely

wow, okay i had no clue. to get my volvo into the 12's i had to mod everything from the engine to the rearend. he says it also had a chipped ecu and an safc2. all axles replaced, and stuff like that. i really only need a car to commute to school. so i think this will work out. will keep you guys posted, im gonna head out there on friday to look at it and possibly buy it.

Definitely need paper work. There is no telling how good of a job the person did. Also, you might run into some reliability issues, but if this is a track car its definitely worth taking a look at.

yozsi said:
hey folks,
im looking at a 1991 gsx. the seller is asking 3800 but i think he will take 3k. here are the specs:

JDM CYCLONE motor with 40,000miles
all the mods

THE CAR IS TUNED BY SPL TUNNING AND IS A 12s CAR.
ASKING $3800 OBO

ENGINE
EVO III 16g
srt-4 front mount
255 fule pump
560cc injectors
ls1 mass air flow
mbc
afc2
apexi boost gauge
blitz turbo timer
afr gauge automeater
egt gauge automeater
3'' turbo back
oil cooler
aluminum radiator
slim fans

TRANNY
ACT 2600 Clutch

SUSPENTION
KYB AGX ALL AROUND AND EIBACH SPRING
1997 GSX WHEELS

i dont think its running 12's at 18psi but whatever. he says its clean, has a good sound system, and has a bunch of other parts not listed. think i should pick it up? or look at it?

People have run bigT28s[ flow slightly less up top than evo 3 16s] into the 12s with very minimal mods, and the listed above should easily get it into the 12s as long as the rear 3 bolt diff holds up. Since he 'replaced axles' maybe he meant he replaced the rear diff? Ask him about it.

With proper tuning, on a good compression motor it should easily be trapping 108+ running high to mid 12s.

Ask him if he has a Fuel pressure regulator, if not get one asap. Running the 255lph on stock FPR over runs system and you run reallly rich.

Gleason said:
People have run bigT28s[ flow slightly less up top than evo 3 16s] into the 12s with very minimal mods, and the listed above should easily get it into the 12s as long as the rear 3 bolt diff holds up. Since he 'replaced axles' maybe he meant he replaced the rear diff? Ask him about it.

With proper tuning, on a good compression motor it should easily be trapping 108+ running high to mid 12s.

Ask him if he has a Fuel pressure regulator, if not get one asap. Running the 255lph on stock FPR over runs system and you run reallly rich.
he says hes running a safc2 so would that work?

yozsi said:
he says hes running a safc2 so would that work?

SAFC2 will allow him to tune decently, so he could very will be into the 12s with a decent tune on it.

but regardless, it should still get an FPR asap.

yep, if i end up buying it ill get a fuel pressure guage and a fpr. what kind of pressure should it be set at idle?

3800 for that? i'd scoop it up in a second if i had the money.

If I were you, I'd call SPL right away to get your own scoop on the car -- then ask them what your fuel pressure should hit at idle. They should have paper work on the car or at least be able to give you some knowledge. I'd do this because, if it were me, I would really want the scoop on motor. Does anybody know, or is there paperwork that confirms, the true mileage of the 'new' motor. If you can confirm some of the facts behind the build of the car, the price is pretty good if the body of the car is solid. As far as 12's -- absolutely, high 12's maybe -- but don't buy the car based on what someone is telling you about the cars best day at the track. Good luck.

Maybe he'll let you take it to the track for a ''test drive'', and if it hits a 13.00 then he lied and walk awayLOL

Philline said:
sounds like a good deal, check it out...test drive it, run compression test and ask him if he has any paperwork to back up all the work he has done to his car as far as motor purchase/clutch install (when it was done and who did it)
:thumb:

Only thing I would ad is to be careful and remember there are alot of dms out there for sale this isn't the only one!! As far as a daily driver make sure you get a job or a second job for dsm's can be costly!!

well i dont know what happened. i called him and he said that he blew up the clutch when he was launching it earlier today :notgood: i have no clue if he is pulling my leg or not. he told me he would give me the car for like 2500 if i come trailer it away. what do you think?

I would never buy a car without driving it first. Tell him you will pay his asking price if he fixes the car and it runs like he says it does. Even if the clutch is blown you can still do a compression test which will give you an idea how good the motor is.
Good Luck

eh its too much trouble, im going to keep looking until i find a nice driver. anyone know of any awd's around chicagoland for about 3k?

I agree with joe here, it sounds like this drives the car pretty hard and now that he blew the clutch on it thats even more reason to be suspicious (though that does happen eventually no matter what). This does not rule the car out but like joe said check that engine for everything now. Good Luck .... P.S im looking for a turbo model in the michigan/ohio area as well.

12's are a walk in the park for that car. There are a lot o people running 12's on 14b's. I went 12.8@105 with just a Big T28, exhaust, clutch, and fuel pump. No afc or anything else.

if he is saying it cant move then it also could be a blown transmission.By saying that its the clutch he might be making it sound like an easier fix then it really is. If it doesnt drive you cant check the whole drive terrain. I would give him 1000 cash, if he says no then say cya. Its not worth to give up 2k for a car you cant check. Look fora better deal bud

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back