The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Living with Status Seats (Review)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought my Status seats back in March and after living with them for several months I am ready to post an in depth review of a lesser known seat company. There aren't many reviews of these seats in any car forum I visited and none for our cars.

Price of seats: $1825 (before tax)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Seats up for review: SPA recline-able (pass) FIA approved & Ring GTX-FRP (driver) FIA approved

One thing to note I do not have race harnesses yet so I can not speak to the comfort of that feature.

First analysis: To start I chose this brand over any other brand due to the sheer customization selection I had. I was able to choose all my materials including thread and even how the thread was stitched. However, I believe the ability to customize so extensively is reflected in the price. Price at review puts these seats comfortably in the middle price range between Corbeau and Recaro or Sparco seats. Opting for premium seat materials which includes real leather and ultra suede will put the price firmly into the upper end race seat pricing.

Interior Fitment: These seats once attached to the brackets are a snug fit. I used a Planted seat mount bracket for the passenger side and a Wedge bracket with sliders for the driver side. I have about 3 3/4" from the top of the headrest to the roof of the car on both sides although the driver side sits about 0.25" higher due to the sidemount brackets I had to use for the GTX seat. The shoulder bolsters are where things get snug. They touch the door card when the door is closed. I am not to terribly concerned with rub as it just barely touches but it is something to note for long term wear. The GTX seat has extreme side bolstering and side walls. On the plus side this seat really holds you in place even through aggressive cornering, but on the downside our low cars makes clamoring over the side walls to get in a bit of a yoga exercise. For people who are used to climbing into track cars this isn't so bad but I could see it being annoying for daily drivers. The SPA recline-able feels like a modern sports seat. The bolstering is moderate and getting in and out of the seat is easy. It is clear that this seat was designed with daily drivers in mind.

Other features: To be honest this section will mainly focus on the SPA seat. The GTX is noticeably lacking in features by design. The only feature that we in the DSM community cannot take advantage of is that the side mounts have adjustable heights with hex bolts to adjust height and angle on the fly for different drivers. I have it on the lowest setting because if you go any higher your knees will hit the steering wheel. The SPA seat has a triangular knob that once you give a few twists will change the angle of the seatback and once you have the perfect angle you twist the knob a few turns to tighten. To fully bring the seat forward to gain access to the back there is a black bar in the back that you lift up and you can push the seat back all the way forward. The SPA seat came with a slider bar and honestly its way smoother than the one that came with the Wedge bracket. Both seats have holes in the back for race harnesses but the GTX takes that a step further by having a cleft in the seat cushion to allow the harness to fit more snug for those who have 5/6 point harnesses.

Final thoughts: These seats are clearly aimed at people who want to spice up their interior a little bit in a world of black seats and being offered at a competitive price that most upholsterers would have to take a loss to achieve. In my interior they achieved just that and I have received many compliments on them once people get past admiring my car for what it is :cool:. I do not take my car on long drives but the couple times I took it up to Bellingham and down to Portland I have had no issues with comfort. I do have a couple small gripes. One the SPA seat has foam sticking out past the material and it is quite ugly. The other is that the protective coat they put on the plastic bucket is incredibly soft and scratches easily. On one side that makes the scratches easy to buff out on the other it makes scratching the bucket that much easier. Take that as you will but when I feel like taking my car up to the mountains to ski you better believe my skis will be going in their travel bag.

Let me know if y'all have any other questions that I can add in I tried to be as exhaustive and impartial as I could. Sorry for photo quality the smoke makes taking pictures hard.

great review. i had never heard of status before seeing this thread. i like the amount of customization that can be done.

funny thing, i own an S60 R and a GSX. both dream cars for me. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back