The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to paint/dye your interior (and oem seats) like a professional.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So i've hated the gray interior since I bought the car and decided to redo it one weekend. This includes both the fabric and plastic.

What you'll need
-Rite Dye ( I bought about 12 packs )
-Krylon plastic spray paint.
-Container large enough to hold what you want to dye (I used my neighbors recycling bin and cleaned it out.
- Clean rags (they will get dye on them)

My car is gutted from the behind the back seats so this is all I did.
-Door panels
-Center console
-Carpet
-Floor mats
-Carpet on door panels
-OEM seats

This part is for the plastic​

After removing all of the plastic interior pieces you'll want to give them a quick clean and then dry them after. Once they're completely dry leave them in the sun for about 30 min so they get warm; it helps the paint stick to it. Once all of the plastic pieces are ready for paint use the kyrlon plastic spray paint and do evenly distributed. Do about four coats total and make sure to let them dry in the sun for a good 4 hours.

This part is for the carpet​

After acquiring your bin, I used a recycling bin cleaned out, walmart sells 32 gallon bins for $9.99 as well, fill it up about 1/4 of the way and then pour in the amount of Rite Dye that you want. I used 12 packs (water and powder mixed) for everything I dyed and it came out plenty dark.

Mix very well and then continue filling it up until it's about half full. Put all the fabric that you want dyed into the container and make sure it's completely submerged. You'll then want to get something to put on top of what you want dyed so that it stays completely under (I used an old rim w/ tire on it). For the best results make sure the lid is on tight and that no light gets in; that'll make sure that you get the most out of whatever color you choose.

If you want to dye your oem seats, and they come out very well, you'll want to remove the seats from your car, duh, and then separate the seats into two pieces; the back and bottom. Then when you dye them make sure they're completely submerged and let them sit for about 6-8 hours.

Now for the fun part. You're going to let this sit for... wait for it... 4-6 hours! (longer if you're doing your seats).

After this time has passed you'll want to pull the seats/fabric out and lay it in the sun so that it can fully dry. DO NOT RINSE OUT, LET THE SUN DRY THE MATERIAL.

And boom bam bing, that's all you need to do your interior like a pro. Plus it only costs about $30 and a day of work.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-08-07_18-43-24_78.jpg
    2011-08-07_18-43-24_78.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 2011-08-07_18-29-38_904.jpg
    2011-08-07_18-29-38_904.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 582
Last edited by a moderator:
So i've hated the gray interior since I bought the car and decided to redo it one weekend. This includes both the fabric and plastic.

What you'll need
-Rite Dye ( I bought about 12 packs )
-Krylon plastic spray paint.
-Container large enough to hold what you want to dye (I used my neighbors recycling bin and cleaned it out.
-Clothes you don't care about (they will get dye on them)

My car is gutted from the behind the back seats so this is all I did.
-Door panels
-Center console
-Carpet
-Floor mats
-Carpet on door panels
-OEM seats

This part is for the plastic​

After removing all of the plastic interior pieces you'll want to give them a quick clean and then dry them after. Once they're completely dry leave them in the sun for about 30 min so they get warm; it helps the paint stick to it. Once all of the plastic pieces are ready for paint use the kyrlon plastic spray paint and do evenly distributed. Do about four coats total and make sure to let them dry in the sun for a good 4 hours.

This part is for the carpet​

After acquiring your bin, I used a recycling bin cleaned out, walmart sells 32 gallon bins for $9.99 as well, fill it up about 1/4 of the way and then pour in the amount of rite dye that you want. I used 12 packs (water and powder mixed) for everything I dyed and it came out plenty dark.

Mix very well and then continue filling it up until it's about half full. Put all the fabric that you want dyed into the container and make sure it's completely submerged. You'll then want to get something to put on top of what you want dyed so that it stays completely under (I used an old rim w/ tire on it). For the best results make sure the lid is on tight and that no light gets in; that'll make sure that you get the most out of whatever color you choose.

If you want to dye your oem seats, and they come out very well, you'll want to remove the seats from your car, duh, and then separate the seats into two pieces; the back and bottom. Then when you dye them make sure they're completely submerged and let them sit for about 6-8 hours.

Now for the fun part. You're going to let this sit for... wait for it... 4-6 hours! (longer if you're doing your seats).

After this amazing time has passed you'll want to pull the seats/fabric out and lay it in the sun so that it can fully dry. DO NOT RINSE OUT, LET THE SUN DRY THE MATERIAL.

And boom bam bing, that's all you need to do your interior. Plus it only costs about $30 and a day of work.

Thanks to 96awd for believing and helping with my stupid ideas.

Attachments

• 2011-08-07_18-43-24_78.jpg
    2011-08-07_18-43-24_78.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 2011-08-07_18-43-16_551.jpg
    2011-08-07_18-43-16_551.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 584
  • 2011-08-07_18-43-04_27.jpg
    2011-08-07_18-43-04_27.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 635
  • 2011-08-07_18-29-38_904.jpg
    2011-08-07_18-29-38_904.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 563
Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back