The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Lights flicker when the car is running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VapedTalon

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2005
Newmarket, Ontario_Canada
Ok here is my problem, my exterior and interior light flicker when my engine is running. This started after I accidently ended up doing some curb hopping :/. Long story short bottemed out my car on a slushy road, and the rest scared the shit out of me.

I had thought that maybe I had jarred my alt belt loose again, but I checked it. It was a little loose but I tightened it up again. I also found that my B- wire on my altenator had come off. I fixed that and then I double checked that none of my fuses had been jarred loose.

I haven't checked underside of my car for loose grounds yet, frankly its a bit wet after all the snow melted off my car from todays snow. I am thinking that it is something as simple as a loose ground (prays that I am not struck by the dsm in garage curse LOL) If there are any other idea's of what is going on, then it would be great if you could let me know.

TJGoSurf said:
Loose ground from the altenator would cause that.

It could definately be a loose ground problem depending on how the lights flicker. If they are doing the same thing repeatedly even with the car idling then it could be a voltage drop/surge from the alternator. Do the lights do that when the motor is not running?

I am certain that it is not a fuse problem. If it was then something would just not be working, a fuse is either blown or they are not there is no in between. It has to either be a loose connection or a voltage problem. You could have screwed the alternator up when you hit the curb and it is not wanting to charge the battery correctly anymore. If you can't find a loose ground then I would pull the alternator off and get it checked.

When my lights did that, it was a bad alternator. I had it replaced at Sears Auto, then a year later, it happened again. I had them replace it under warranty and the problem was fixed again.

Well it turns out the voltage regulator is toast in my alternator. Not a big deal though since my voltage is fine with my rear defogger on and my fan on low.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back