The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Let's Solve the 1g Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar Problem!

Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex500

Probationary Member
Apr 26, 2003
Columbus, OhioUS
Ok All You 1g DSMers out there, here's the deal: Our (89-94) Front Upper Strut Tower Bars are dirt cheap on places like ebay, as are the 2g (95-99) Front & Rear Upper Strut Tower Bars. The Problem is, the 1g Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar is EXTREMElY HARD to find and if you do find it, you have to pay out the A$$ for it! I'm thinking we need to find a way to fabricate an existing, easy to come by, and CHEAP Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar for another car to fit ours and document it, in detail (the company that makes them, their email, the procedure, etc.) that way we don't have to worry about this problem anymore! There was a post on here sometime ago that a Rear Upper Strut Towre Bar for a Mirage that could possibly work but noone gave the details, and someone uttered that a civic bar is long enough/ the right size but that was about the extent of it. Let's put our minds together and figure out a cheap and easy way to solve this dilema! Anyone with me? Feel free to post your ideas and hopefully this issue will be resolved quickly!

The main reason they're not popular is that they're redundant- the 1Gs don't need a rear bar. However, I was probably the one who said I'd read that someone had modified (made mountings for) a Civic bar.

I wouldn't say their redundant, they do a good job quiteing down the rattles from the rear hatch but their impact on handling is minor.

Anyone with a welder, tape measure and a hacksaw can fabricate a RRE style rear bar.

Steve

Originally posted by Defiant
The main reason they're not popular is that they're redundant- the 1Gs don't need a rear bar. However, I was probably the one who said I'd read that someone had modified (made mountings for) a Civic bar.

the main reason that no one makes a CHEAP bar is because our 1G's plastic in the rear needs to be trimmed..... for some reason no company wants to make one that needs "Modding" done to the car:thumbdown

Well, this looks like a cheap, easy answer to the problem we were lookin for! Hopefully it will stiffen up my suspension (even if it's only a little) and cut down on hatchback noise/rattle. I'm gonna pick one up off of eBay and try it out myself, I'll post on how it works whenever I get it in. The website show pics of the bar, what you need to do to mod it, and a picture of it installed, check it out!

Thanks El Aguila :thumb:

Alright, I bought a RSTB for a 97-99 Mits. Mirage on eBay for $9.99 + Shipping from Mysteryracing. Once it comes I'll mod it at my dad's collision shop and see how it turns out. I'll take some pics and post them too!

-Cheers Mates!

woohoo, I'm glad you guys are putting this to use. I posted a pic of the bar installed on that dsmtalk.com thread. the how-to shows everything that you have to do to get it to fit, but if anybody has any other questions feel free to ask.

Chris

I did the mods to the Mirage Strut Tower Bar according to the DSMTALK link that was posted and the bar went in with pretty smoothly. It took a little bit of time, but it was pretty easy. I don't really expect much performance out of it, but if it at least quiets down the hatch rattles I'll be satisfied. As soon as I get my new clutch back in my car I'll post the results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back