The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

LC1 problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Boooost

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2008
Airdrie, AB_Canada
Hi guys,
I've been running my LC1 for 3 summers with maybe 7000kms on it now, the O2 sensor is in the stock front O2 sensor location. I was out this past weekend touring some back roads with some buddies and my gauge went from working properly to displaying 7.4. I had to pull over shut the car off and restart it. Once it was restarted the wide band started working properly. This happened 3 times that day. Has this happened to anyone else? And does anyone know where i should start looking for a problem?
Thanks for the help

Vern

Last edited by a moderator:
Start off with recalibrating the sensor.

Do you have the LED installed (used in calibration)? If so, when the gauge went to 7.4, was it blinking any code, if you noticed?

I did notice the gauge itself did blink, I dont recall how many times. I also have the LED hooked up, but never thought to check to see if it was blinking. I'll recalibrate it and if it happens again i check the LED to see if it is throwing any codes.
Thanks for the help.

Sounds similar to happened to me. My gauge would randomly freeze up and the display the 7.5 and flash. The creator if you turn the car ignition off then back on, and it should clear that out and work normal again. You need to do it within the first 5-10 seconds, otherwise you will need to recalibrate the controller.

I never found an actual fix, I just bought a new one. If you are still on warranty I would contact Innovate to have them look at the controller as I believe it's going out.

Mine is doing the same thing, I keep reading this wideband is known for this problem..Should of went with AEM. Mine slowly went like OP and it would go back to normal. Now mine is completely dead, says 7.4 all the time, on ecmlink it states 7.4 as well, so I know it is not the gauge, is it the o2? Can you use any o2 or does it have to be an innovate o2?

How does one recalibrate? Mine never came with an LED or nothing...

The innovate website has the guide to recalibrate it. I have the mtx-l but read it was the same for both. But when I recalibrate it, I turn the car to on without starting while the o2 sensor is unplugged which throws an E2 code. Then I take the o2 out of the housing into open air, plug it back in, turn the car to the on position again and wait about 30 to 45 seconds. Once it shows 24.4 I believe then you can turn the car off and reinstall the sensor and that's it, easier done then reading this long msg LOL

The innovate website has the guide to recalibrate it. I have the mtx-l but read it was the same for both. But when I recalibrate it, I turn the car to on without starting while the o2 sensor is unplugged which throws an E2 code. Then I take the o2 out of the housing into open air, plug it back in, turn the car to the on position again and wait about 30 to 45 seconds. Once it shows 24.4 I believe then you can turn the car off and reinstall the sensor and that's it, easier done then reading this long msg LOL

Nice thanks for that quick guide instead of reading the long PDF file! So LED really isn't needed? I would assume the LED would give you exact problem, such as bad o2 or bad gauge?

Anyways can one run a Bosch o2 like AEM or do you have to buy one straight from innovate? I work at advance and would rather buy locally if it is my o2 sensor, don't see what else it can be besides calibration.

The LED is needed to know if the recalibration has worked properly. Yes, it will also tell you if your sensor is bad (found that one out when my sensor died) or if there is some other issue. I don't see it telling you if the gauge is bad considering that is a separate piece in the system and in no way can affect the LED. The LED will communicate just issues with the sensor or LC-1 box from what I remember.

You can get one from Auto Zone (where I just picked up mine) - not sure about Advance. The part number is 17014 (Bosch sensor). It'll probably come up for a VW.

The LED is needed to know if the recalibration has worked properly. Yes, it will also tell you if your sensor is bad (found that one out when my sensor died) or if there is some other issue. I don't see it telling you if the gauge is bad considering that is a separate piece in the system and in no way can affect the LED. The LED will communicate just issues with the sensor or LC-1 box from what I remember.

You can get one from Auto Zone (where I just picked up mine) - not sure about Advance. The part number is 17014 (Bosch sensor). It'll probably come up for a VW.

That makes sense now, forgot about the LC1 box. Advance carries mostly Bosch as their o2 sensors. I'll try and look for 17014 bosch sensor today when I work. I'll try to recalibrate if it doesn't work, I guess I'll buy another sensor, my o2 is only less than 5000miles old can't believe it is bad already if it is that. I bought the WB new at same mileage.

I've seen this same sort of problem on two different LC-1 units. Both had perfect grounds and next to new sensors. (...and believe me, they were calibrated correctly, even hooked serially through LM-programmer) It boggles me that my old school LM-1 works so well and is still on its original sensor (maybe 7-8 years old). :coy:

I've seen this same sort of problem on two different LC-1 units. Both had perfect grounds and next to new sensors. (...and believe me, they were calibrated correctly, even hooked serially through LM-programmer) It boggles me that my old school LM-1 works so well and is still on its original sensor (maybe 7-8 years old). :coy:

Damn makes me want to switch to aem we will see how it turns out otherwise I'm going with aem

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

I'd go with the new Innovate unit (MTX-L) before an AEM. If the LC-1 is the issue, maybe try and talk with Innovate and see if they can swap it out for the newer unit considering all of the problems you've heard about/read with the LC-1's going bad.

Never saw the MTX-L model, very nice. I emailed them, hopefully they can help out, I would love that newer MTX-L model, thanks for all the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back