The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

knock wont go away tried everything

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXftw

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Medford, Oregon
So I normally dont post just asking for help and usually just go out and work on my stuff... but Im at a loss here guys... Please help. Ive been doing a ton on my car lately getting ready for race season, and I just cant get this damn knock to go away!! Problem started when I started upgrading stuff for the year, everything was fine before, So just in the last month, heres what Ive changed-
Went from a ported 1g O2 housing to a punishment racing O2 that was made to dump internal wastegate, I put an external WG on this, and dumped it down by the crossmember (where the oil drain return is) and at 24 psi was immediately fighting knock
1. First I thought it was the tune, I was up on boost with the EWG, but Ive been cutting boost down, Im now where I was before (22psi) and 3 degrees of timing LESS than I normally run, and still knocking. Not the tune
2. Then I thought it was my downpipe hitting the T case. Cut and rewelded it, didnt fix it.
3. Then I replaced knock sensors. Nope
4. Then I added a water/meth kit. Knocks the same

SOOOOO-
This has to be phantom knock, WTF else can it be coming from? It isnt the WG dump tube setting it off, it knocks well before its open, sometimes 1-2 psi! what else is there to try? These logs are basically every freaking day trying something new and getting the same shit.
log 1 (tonight) water/meth
log 2 (yesterday) welded/reclocked downpipe
log 3 (day before) new knock sensor
I just got home from my first water/meth drive and I should be happy BUT IM NOT!!!:banghead: Thank you for any help I appreciate it
BTW havent touched base timing which is still at 5, pulled plugs theyre fresh BPR7ES gapped .28

Attachments

• log.2013.02.16-03.elg
    28 KB · Views: 50
  • log.2013.02.13-02.elg
    18.8 KB · Views: 31
  • log.2013.02.12-01.elg
    21.8 KB · Views: 41
Have you pulled the plugs and verified knock? I used to get pk running jackal, switched to tuner pro rt, and set it to ignore knock to 6 psi. My setup gave me the same pk from 0-3 psi, right in the transition zone.
If this all started with the dump tube, I bet the ks is picking up the sound and reporting it as knock. If this is a race only build, why even run a ks? Pull it out and move it to another location and see if that helps. just some ideas

Have you pulled the plugs and verified knock?
Last line of post, yes plugs look good and clean
I used to get pk running jackal, switched to tuner pro rt, and set it to ignore knock to 6 psi. My setup gave me the same pk from 0-3 psi, right in the transition zone.
If this all started with the dump tube, I bet the ks is picking up the sound and reporting it as knock.
mine is knocking anytime WOT pretty much... couldnt that rule out the dump tube cause it knocks WAY before its open?
If this is a race only build, why even run a ks? Pull it out and move it to another location and see if that helps. just some ideas
Daily driver, stock internals

My first guess was the dump tube, but that doesnt seem to be the case. I would boil it down to phantom knock. Just as long as the knock count stays under 6.

Well I pulled plugs again. They looked perfectly normal, light brown. I gapped them down to .24 from .28 and that did it. Added 2* of timing, only knock that was there is from going a little lean (12) and my clutch slips since I found new found power, which it hasnt done since a race gas tune :)

Well I pulled plugs again. They looked perfectly normal, light brown. I gapped them down to .24 from .28 and that did it. Added 2* of timing, only knock that was there is from going a little lean (12) and my clutch slips since I found new found power, which it hasnt done since a race gas tune :)

I run my plugs at .022. you are on the right track. Now, go get some e-85 and finish that clutch off. :thumb:

Well I spoke too soon... I was adding timing on the max oct table, but didnt realize I was using the min oct as an aux table while on water/meth, so in other words I thought I was adding timing and it was handling it, but it wasnt, still knocking with any decent timing. I checked my cam timing, this is with the crank exactly at zero. Its a little off so gonna try and get it better

Attachments

• securedownloadhbvh.jpg
    securedownloadhbvh.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 222
Update- I pulled the engine and gave it some mods. AEM cam gears, timing belt, BSE, clutch/fw, intake mani. Ill have it going again tomorrow, and be able to tell it this half tooth off of cam timing is what caused the knock

I've had some knock issues in the past, and from what I've read, people have put a thin nylon washer between the KS and the block to help combat phantom knock. I haven't done this and I'm not sure if its bad practice or not to even suggest this, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Wow. You have been busy. How did the knock sensor look? Thanks for the update.

Yes I have LOL. knock sensor looked HORRIBLE. Had no filler in it at all, yet after replacing it surprisingly didnt change a thing.

I'm curious as to why you keep adding timing if you are experiencing knock. You should be doing the opposite.
Because I know this is some really sissy timing... Ive ran more on the same boost level before, and know I should be higher up than where it is.

I've had some knock issues in the past, and from what I've read, people have put a thin nylon washer between the KS and the block to help combat phantom knock. I haven't done this and I'm not sure if its bad practice or not to even suggest this, but I figured I would throw it out there.

I just read this actually, and using teflon on the threads is another way, and building the aligator clip/headphone knock detector. I may try this depending on where my results take me.

Well car is back on the road after all its goodies, its a new clutch and I dunno about boostin heavy yet without some miles on it. More to come

Okay well still breaking in the clutch and workin bugs out so far... but car is feeling great!! Mods I accomplished are- Cyclone intake activated by FPS, AEM cam gears timed correctly, BSE/timing belt, FFOFH, XTD stage 4/chromolly 11lb fw.
I have to fix a leaky intake joining gasket so its got a boost leak, and this was the first pull so AFR is obviously off just like any mod with SD, but so far no knock... which is new LOL. Id have to say cam timing did it so far...I had the water/meth off for this BTW and low boost

Attachments

• log.2013.03.15-01.elg
    35.8 KB · Views: 38
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back