The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

K&N Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspharris

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2005
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
What K&N filter do you guys use? I have a 4" inlet K&N now that is round and long. It worked fine with my stock intake pipe but I just installed a intake and tried to use it but now it is to long. So I was thinking about this one. What do you guys think? I see the filters on some guys cars and they are using the oval style and I think that is what I want to go with. One more question, now that I have my intake on, my car feels like it is choked down, any of you experienced this? I did a boost leak test before I put the intake on and I had a leak on the FPR line on the IM, so I fixed that with a clamp instead of a zip tie. After that it still would not hold boost past 6-7 psi. It would all bleed off at the BOV. Is the stock one that junky? Thanks for all the help guys. :dsm: Lets see if Andy can strike first on this one.

The 2nd generation BOV is pointless after I think its 14 or 15 psi. Go get a 1g BOV, or buy an aftermarket one(PM me). I use one that fits the stock intake snorkel, I've seen people have a 2 inch inlet and about 5 inches long on some cars. K&N have many many different filters.

what i did when i had my 2g was i took the dimensions off the inlet and went to the parts store and found one. what mas are you using? do you have a maf-t? when i had my 1st 2g i cranked up the boost and cracked the factory bov, thats how junky they are.

I am using the stock MAF and I have a Greddy BOV and I am waiting on my intercooler to come in so that I can install everything. The BOV would leak at around 7 psi.

If the bov is leaking that low then you need to adjust it by turning the set screw on the top counterclockwise and securing it with the lock nut.

I am using the stock BOV still. I am waiting on my intercooler to come in to use the Greddy.

i ran a K&N FIPK filter in my old 2g.. with a RRE inlet pipe worked great..

and yes the 2g BOV's SUCK!!! i couldent hold boost worth a shit.. SO glad i thru that F***** out.. but ya.. get a 1g.. you will be able to hear/tell the diff.. i had a few boost leaks and i could still hit 13psi on my stock rebuilt t-25.. i vote... get a 1g.. there cheap ass hell.. if your lucky.. junkyard.. if not RRE sells em like 90bucks brand new and they hold up to 18psi.. dodge mod em.. like something like 36psi give or take a few pounds if im not misstaken. cant remember off the top of my head.

also you can pick up the FIPK at RRE for like 120$ its not a bad price for a good filter.

Thanks for all the help guys. Has any one ran the filter I talked about or similiar?

That filter that you mentioned is the one that comes with the FIPK kit. I used to have it but recently changed because with my greddy UICP I would have to tilt it, and it was rubbing against my headlight and the piping. I have a pic of it in my profile if you would like to look at it.

Now I just have a universal type 3" airfilter and adapter plate. I got those from extremepsi.com.

EDIT: The difference between that filter and the FIPK kit is that the FIPK kit has an adapter plate that bolts up to your MAF sensor. It also comes with a CARB sticker.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back