The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

just curious.... all you "i want to turbo mine" guys.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dericsh

Supporting Member
Nov 25, 2002
Pearl River, Louisiana
im just wondering how many miles all of you "future engine modder" guys have... i have 165k and was wondering if its too late to start, and if i should just work with the appearance of the car and get a newer engine after im done. give me your 2 cents please.:thumb:

I think the consensus is if the engine has been well maintained and it is running fine now with solid compression it is not too late to start.

Granted, if you do have any issues lurking in the background the turbo will bring them to light. I believe there are cars on this board that have been turboed with close to that many miles on them with decent results.

thanks for the quick reply. i havent had too many issues with the engine, the occasional idle surge always goes away after a day or two, but other than that its pretty stable, so u say go for it?

I have a 94 talon that just turned 68k miles. I dont think it is much of an issue though because with as many parts as your going to have to replace, your engine will be almost new again anyway. so unless youve really abused your engine, i dont think that the miles are going to be much of a determining factor.

Do a compression test. That'll tell you if your car will handle boost. I have 108,000 miles, did a compression test, came up with;
Anything over 170 is perfect. Soo I'm good to go!:D

if you are thinking about turboing your car. it is never to late to start.
go to www.hahnracecraft.com and look at their systems. depending on your money situation i would start with stage 3 you get pistons rods and alot more.
keep in touch and let me know
later

Originally posted by 93eklipz
how do i go about doin a compression test
You can take it to a mechanic but that'll cost ya bout' 80-90- bucks, soo don't do that. You can buy a test at an AutoZone or Pepboys for bout' 30 bucks. It's real easy too. Just disengage your ignition, pull out yer spark-plugs, pull the dial in a cylinder, get into your car, cranks it while holding the gas for 5 seconds. Repeat for each cylinder.
Pretty easy. Course' the package will come with instructions that'll be much better than mine, I just have a problem with rambling.
Good luck.:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back