1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420A Jacking up the rear

Posted by 609DSM, Feb 4, 2020

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    So my catback is rusty and bent in a couple places and doesnt mate properly to my converter. I know the fwd models for the 2g eclipse the last pipe goes over the rear axles, how do I go about jacking my car up in the rear? I'm planning on putting it up on 4 jack stands. I have a floor jack but it only goes up 18 inches if I remember correctly.

I dont want to mess anything up and I havent jacked up the rear yet only the front. Anyone have tips for me?

Street Build 277  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    I always jack up on the rear subframe. I put a piece of wood on the jack to spread out the load. Depending on how high I need to get the car, I will put the jack stands under the car and add a few more pieces of wood to the jack to get it higher and higher.

Autocross Build 365  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    That’s exactly how I do it too. Easiest way by far.

Street Build 4K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  4. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Thanks gentlemen. I've looked it up before but came up mostly with awd jacking point which is the rear diff, couldn't find solid info on the fwd models.

Street Build 277  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    When I messed with my FWD exhaust I found I had more room the twist & turn the muffler back piece out over the cross member if I only jacked up the rear & left the front on the ground. After the muffler is out you can jack up the front & get the whole car up.

609DSM likes this.