The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Issues / Overheating/ Knock / Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nek

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So today I put in a new knock sensor, and a new tstat w/gasket. I then refilled the system and went for a drive. The ride there wasnt to bad.. My knock sensor always reads a solid 3.2 when hitting the throttle to hard so I think its misreading and Im throwing a knock sensor dtc that I dont get.
On the drive home I was getting scary hot. My system was up near 240 and thats no where near safe. So WTF is the issue. Can a knock sensor error create these kind of issues? Is it a tuning issue I need to fix? I know its hard for people online to diagnose the problem because they cant see it but hopefully a log will help..
Thanks in advance :(

Attachments

• log.2010.08.06-01.elg
    478.7 KB · Views: 57
Start with a leakdown test then get more air through the radiator earlier. Dual fans/ lower fan cycle temp and maybe a custom diverter. My fmic blocks enough flow that I have to run my fans on the highway.

Hm, Imma get some tests done. Right now I have both fans on via ecmlink. Its also kinda weird because it before I refilled all the coolant, the gauge would never go above half. Now, this trip was the first time Ive ever seen it climb to above 3/4. Im not driving it until I fix these issues. Lucky I dont have to commute anywhere.
Do you think it might just be something stupid like a rad cap? I bought a new one but I noticed coolant leaking around the cap so I put my old one back on. Imma go buy another one.

Is there a way to tell if my knock sensor is actually not responding. I get a knock sensor dtc but when I accelerate I do get a steady 3.2 degrees of knock. Take a look at the log. Maybe there is a short between the sensor and the ecu? But I would think it would just read 0v if that was the case...
New knock sensor btw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back