The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Is this ECU able to be saved???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
I have several ecus here that I just received caps for. After getting the old caps out of one and comparing them to the pics on the VFAQ the board looks pretty bad. Can someone chime in and let me know if they think this board is able to be saved or should I save the caps for another?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mike1992 said:
Send it to Steve, he is the ECU god :thumb:

http://simon.chi.il.us/ECU/

I know Steve is the man with ECUs. Maybe he can chime in here and tell me what he thinks by looking at the pic? This isn't mine. A buddy of mine got 5 ECU's when he bought his car. Two MT AWD 90's, one 91 AWD MT, one 91 AWD AT, and one 91 FWD MT. This is one of the 90's. All the others looked good so I changed out the caps for him. We tested them all in the various cars our friends have and our own and they all worked fine. This one just didn't look good so I figured I'd ask before I wasted a set of caps on it.

Still looks good to me. You should off seen mine before I replaced my caps. My ecu started smokin when I went out for a drive. Two of my caps burnt up and three of my selenoid drivers melted but it still ran fine!OMG I think it was about 102 degrees that day.

From what i can see in the pics it should be fine, just make sure the solder makes good contact with the mettalic strip leading to the location.
Also if you have to, to get a good connection you can scrape a litle of the green coating from the metallic strip to bridge the solder on to make sure you get a good connection. i took electronics for 4 years and have had to do that a few times and never had any problems.

good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back