The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Individual cylinder misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trippinonfohos

Probationary Member
Aug 17, 2010
Houston, Texas
I've had my 90 Awd talon for 8 or 9 moths now. It's had it's problems, but I've had the know-how to get it all fixed until now. I bought the car with a turbo that was seized so I went ahead and bought an MHI small 16g, the car ran great for the last few months. Then one random day, out of the blue, misfires occur. I pull the plug wires Individually to see which where not firing. I would of expected either 2-3 or 1-4 because of the wasted spark system this car has. But it is only cylinder 3. I've checked and double checked the plugs, injectors, ecu, transistor box, coil packs ( the latter two being ruled out because only one cylinder isn't firing). I've moved plugs around between cylinders and bought new plug wires. Problem persists. And, I know there is significant current going through the #3 plug wire because it shocked the living balls out of me. I'm clueless, I've been searching for hours without luck. Any input is appreciated

Would that apply because it is only one cylinder? If the CAS was bad, it would send an incorrect signal to the computer to be put through it's circuitry then out to the coils for ignition, among other things. Causing 2 cylinders to go down, correct? I apoligize for my ignorance. Just trying to work through the possibilities.

no spark huh? you sure your coil packs are good?

ECU - wires - coil pack - sparkplug wires - sparkplug
Gotta be something in there....

Would that apply because it is only one cylinder? If the CAS was bad, it would send an incorrect signal to the computer to be put through it's circuitry then out to the coils for ignition, among other things. Causing 2 cylinders to go down, correct? I apoligize for my ignorance. Just trying to work through the possibilities.
Normally that's true but if the CAS is intermittent or noisy anything can happen. I seem to remember there was once another post about someone not firing on cyl 3.

After taking some time to think about it, and taking a second, third, and fourth look at the car. I'm beginning to think it is a fuel problem. I went out there today to move an injector to a different cylinder, and see if the problem follows the injector. But when I removed the injector the O-ring disintegrated. 3-5 day wait for that, then an update.

After reading your diagnosis I was going to say to test the injector. Sounds like a faulty injector or cap in the ecu.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back