The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Illegal to Remove Air Bags??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PURE GUESSWORK HERE> I don't know if there are any state laws about airbags, but I'm pretty sure they're covered under Federal regs thru NHTSA. I'm not going to put out the effort to start searching, either. BUT it's probably illegal to _sell_ a car with any modification to safety equipment, and who knows what we're "allowed" to do anymore to our personal &&$^$& property.<GUESSWORK OFF
What I'd like is a swap-out airbag, a second one looking bone-stock but filled with broken coke bottles, roofing nails and edge-sharpened dimes. Wired in thru the anti-theft, of course...... BLOOFF! I'd not mind doing an after-Marvin cleanup on that at all ("o, man, I just shot Marvin in the face" -Vincent Vega).
If you're belted in properly, the airbag has to come meet you, you'd never get out to hit the wheel. And pray you don't have your thumbs hooked around the rim of the steering wheel when that thing goes off, because something's going to break. I just hate the things. Give me a call when NASCAR and F1CA start using them.

So, if it "is" illegal to remove a functioning airbag, is it legal to replace the steering wheel if it has already been deployed? Those things don't come cheap, and I'm sure that the cost to have it put in is some $$$. Just wondering if that were ever to happen, God for bid.

No that's the catch. If your airbag has been deployed then you can replace the steering wheel with a Momo or Sparco unit. A friend of mine crashed his Prelude and his airbag deployed he then replaced it with a Sparco steering wheel. This is in NY, and he has not had any trouble with the authorities yet.

Hahaha.

Racing Seats + 5 point harnesses + LCD screen in steering wheel = Irony irony irony.

I really really really am biting my tongue on saying something to Mr. SnoopySLR.

How do I check to see if my air bags have been deployed then. I know that the car was in a frontal collision, cause on the back side of the bumper, after I removed it, it had white chalk written on it that said 95+ talon. That and the passenger side headlight has been replaced. So how do I go about checking the passenger side air bag with out it ripping my face off. I know that the driverside is good not sure on the the passenger side.

It would be great to get a blown air bag, and install the TV inside and keep the cover... So it'd be basically a gutted out aig bag, with flip open cover to view the TV, and it will look stock :) that would be dope.
Also airbag is useless if you have a 5 point harness.

I was being sarcastic. I'm putting a sparco wheel in, but I have sparco 4 points. I molded a screen in my dash. I took the HVAC controls out and put it there. It looks good, but have to wait until winters over to use it.

Originally posted by ENEVEL RACER
How do I check to see if my air bags have been deployed then. I know that the car was in a frontal collision, cause on the back side of the bumper, after I removed it, it had white chalk written on it that said 95+ talon. That and the passenger side headlight has been replaced. So how do I go about checking the passenger side air bag with out it ripping my face off. I know that the driverside is good not sure on the the passenger side.

Sorry about bringing this thread back to life (i found it in a search), but anyway, i used to have an '86 benz 190E that got in an accident from the previous owner. It only had an airbag in the steering wheel, none on the passenger side. Anyway, if i opened the glove box, on the inside of the "door", there was a sticker that said "Driver's side airbag replaced, 12/something/97. The sticker was a mercedes sticker, btw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back