The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Illegal to Remove Air Bags??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InnerCircleVP

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2002
Vero Beach, Florida
I was wondering if it was illegal to remove airbags from a car steering wheel and passenger dash. I want either install a TV in the steering wheel and the PS2 in the passenger side or just do TVs on both side. My parents told its illegal but I mean they aren't using any facts to back it up. So does anyone else know?? Also what about shaving the rear windows, where the backseat is. Think thats illegal. I live in FL if that makes any difference.

i personally dont' know but i'd say NO. some cars don't even come with airbags.. make sure you let someone else do it.. you can injury yourself really bad if u attempt to do it yourself.. i don't think a cop would care, the insurance company is a different story though.

If a vehicle came with an airbag, it is illegal to dis-able it without a waiver from the NTSB. Only under certain circumstances will they allow them to be disabled.
Furthermore, in many states it is illegal to have any kind of entertainments system display that can be seen from the driver's view. So... I'd be more concerned about the TV getting you a ticket than the airbag being removed/disabled.

Well I spent like 10min on searching for airbag information. I've gone through the California Highway Patrol site looking for airbag removal problems. I wasn't able to find anything. All I've found was people's opinions about the topic no realy hard evidence to show to anyone. I personally am thinking of removing a 2g steering wheel and replacing it with an aftermarket one. Simply because I need the space. Well a cop is less likely to pull you over for the steering wheel violation most likely because it's a pretty non-noticeable thing. They're more likely to bust you for illegal (fill in the blank....HEADERS INTAKE and whatever.) Also if you get a steering wheel that is flashy that's more likely to get fined. You can get a nice momo that looks like it would be a stock wheel that would look all 'rice' like

http://www.momo.it/Momo/volanti/grandi/jet/jet.jpg

Which practically looks like a nice stock non airbag wheel.

Well that was a tangent from your point but I just wanted to contribute my 2cents.

Originally posted by Doug99RS
If a vehicle came with an airbag, it is illegal to dis-able it without a waiver from the NTSB. Only under certain circumstances will they allow them to be disabled.
Furthermore, in many states it is illegal to have any kind of entertainments system display that can be seen from the driver's view. So... I'd be more concerned about the TV getting you a ticket than the airbag being removed/disabled.
i disagree. why is it some cars have the option to be disabled with the key then?

What cars can you disable the driver side air bag? I know you can dis able pass side ones for a baby seat. But I've never heard of disabled driver side ones.

I am not sure how you can do it. You can remove it but even then while it is removed it can still diploy. It's a really vague topic.

i think some chevy trucks you can disable the driver side airbag, cause of little women getting severly injured by air bag deployment. ( seats closer to steering wheel)

it is illegal to pull the air bags out.

Originally posted by Bd1000Eclipse
none that i know of, but wasen't he just planning on taking out the pass. one for a tv?

he was planning to put a tv in the steering wheel also that's why.

its any 2 seater car that has a key to disable the pass airbag -- because if you have a child or infant you have no option to put them in the back seat. that is why the key is there

Everbody likes different ####, no need to bs on someones desires. Thanks for the help guys guess I going to have to leave it. But I still might just replace the stock steering wheel with an aftermarket one. Thanks again.

Originally posted by InnerCircleVP
Everbody likes different ####, no need to bs on someones desires. Thanks for the help guys guess I going to have to leave it. But I still might just replace the stock steering wheel with an aftermarket one. Thanks again.
i'm not man, i'm just saying when are you going to watch it? why not just get one that folds out of the stero? save the money that u would put in for 2 tv's, plus the stero and upgrade your turbo (if u are turbo) or other stuff.. but you do what u like i guess.

LOL, I already have a TV and PS2 but wanted to change my setup, and it wouldn't be really playing while your driving but at like car meets and when your waitin in your car. You'd be surprised how many times my DVD player has come in handy.

Maybe I should duct tape my iBook to my dash. Then I'll have a 14" screened DVD player/ECU Management/Computer... RIGHT IN MY CAR!

I don't suggest you get rid of the air bag.. .that is unless you would like to pick the TV parts out of your face if you have an accident.

You have never been in a serious accident have you?

Yea I understand the dangers of air bad removal but I'm planning on puttin in racing seats with a 5 point harness. Hopefully that would keep me away from hitting the steering wheel. I have been a in few accidents but never while I was driving. My friend rolled a car on 95 with 2 of us in it and a few minor fender benders.

People are willing to do anything to make their car more dangerous these days.:rolleyes:

I know the last time I was in an accident, my cd player was ripped from the dash and the amplifier in my trunk ended up cracking me in the back of my head (yes, it was screwed down). I'd hate to see what a video screen does to the front of someone's face. Then again maybe it'd be pretty funny.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back