The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Ignition lock troubles...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beat90tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Once or twice in the past my ignition has been stubborn and given me issues, but this morning (7 deg F) and then later today it was a little worse than in the past. It didn't matter which way I turned the steering wheel, or what position the "remove button" was in, it just didn't want to turn. After some coaxing, it turned and the car fired.

I just wanted to know if there is a safe lube to spray in there if any to help keep that thing turning smoothly. Oddly enough my outside door locks have been doing well despite these temps, it's my ignition lock that's giving me crap. The door locks act up occaisionally then I drench them in WD40 and they work like a charm for another 6mo.

you could always use wd40. i try and avoid it in locks since it attracts dust. you can buy a spray lube thats made just for lock cylinders. something about it it doesnt attract dust. but start with cleaning it out good with brake cleaner or contact cleaner. it will drip all kinds of nasty black crap so id take off the lower plastic cover and use a rag to catch it. otherwise it will run all over the place.

Yeah, I bet 15 years of filth will come pouring out of all the cracks. Is brake-cleaner safe in there? I'm not sure how fragile the electrical connections are inside there, all of my locks are original and I only need 1 key, I'd hate to ruin the ignition by doing something hastily.

beat90tsi said:
I just wanted to know if there is a safe lube to spray in there if any to help keep that thing turning smoothly. Oddly enough my outside door locks have been doing well despite these temps, it's my ignition lock that's giving me crap. The door locks act up occaisionally then I drench them in WD40 and they work like a charm for another 6mo.
WD-40 evaporates so quickly and thoroughly that it's no threat to common lock cylinders.
There's every chance your ignition tumblers are beaten out from a former owner having the house key, garage key, boat key, truck key, other car key, other other car key, jetski key, picture of dog/baby/girlfriend, bottle opener, pocket knife, tongue scraper/dogshit-in-sneaker-treads scraper, diary key, dairy key, post-office box key, gym locker key, gun range key and a rabbit's foot hanging off the keyring. Or, your key could just be worn down.
The best, permanent repair is to replace the ignition lock and in the future always run the ignition key naked, all by itself. They're not too rare on eBay, and cheap when they show up. Replacement is only a matter of taking off the shroud, turning the key to ACC and pressing a button with a Phillips screwdriver.

Tumblers are not that hard to take apart and clean. Just disassemble it and clean with a good cleaner (carb cleaner, gas). While it is apart inspect for worn parts and replace if necessary. I would lubricate with a dry lubricant (i.e. graphite) if possible to avoid dirt build up and future troubles.

If it does need to be replaced it isn't too hard to re-key a tumbler. I have done quite a few in my time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back