The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Idle problem finally solved

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgmiller

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2009
melbourne, Arkansas
The car is a '93 Talon ES with 74k actual and less on the JDM engine we dropped in it after original owner failed to replace the timing belt and you know what finally happened to an old car with low miles. When we got the engine in and running, it surged constantly instead of idling. I drove it on a forty-mile trip and discovered that it ran perfectly on the road. Power was better than I remembered and fuel mileage was exceptional. I knew from a timing belt job on my Laser that the timing on the old 2.0 was tricky to set, and I asked my mechanic if he thought the timing might be off. A humble guy, he said he had set it carefully at specs and I believed he knew what he was talking about. We tried various remedies including a new map sensor and nothing changed about the rough idle. The car was checked again and it became the consensus that it needed a valve job because the exhaust would suck back against paper placed against the tail pipe.

I found it hard to believe that the engine needed a valve job because it felt like such a perfect low-mileage engine. It runs like one with 15k on it. After some hesitation, I authorized the valve job, thinking I am not going to be able to drive the car or sell it without a fix. When the mechanic removed the timing cover and checked the belt, he discovered that the timing was "a half a tooth off". Carefully, the timing was re-set, and problem solved, after a year or more of struggling with no success.

It's always nice to try to fix a problem, get it all back together, cross your fingers and have it actually work.

Thanks. Guess you've been there. After chasing down all kinds of issues, like the radio and the seat belt retractor, new tires, headliner, replacement of the visors when the headliner guy recovered them and put them together backwards, all the car needs is a paint job to be fully restored as far as I can tell. And it should get as good as 35 mpg on the highway. So I may just drive it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back