The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Idle issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpopppa

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2008
burnsville, Minnesota
Ok, so I dont know if anyone does this or has done this but I get tired of searching for issues and find the problem I am having to have the answer to that problem not answered.

So problem I was having was this. For the past two years I have owned my TSi I've had this idle issue that would come and go. Every now and then coming up to a stop, the idle would go up and down, from like 1000 rpm, to like 400 up and down. It did this up until a week or so ago where out of no where it would not hold idle. On cold starts it sounded like ass as if it was missing.

I decided to tighten up the throttle to help the idle, considering I would have to hold the brake while feathering the gas pedal while clutching it. I spent hours doing research about what it could be. From doing boost leaks, to timing being off. A few damn close threads but then a dead end.

Luckily I always junk yard shop on my days off. I find something I need or would think I need I usually grab it. Hell most the time they don't charge for the little things. Well for some reason I decided to grab the IAC off a 91 Laser along with the BOV and the few sensor hookups and of course all the fuse related items under the hood.

Well I came to the conclusion my issue was either of the 3 things:

(A) Timing was off, considering I changed the water pump out 1000 miles before hand. Timing is fine.

(B) Coolant Temp Sensor, considering my Thermo needle only moves until its warm and doesn't move after that. Odd because the other 4 or 5 DSMs I've ever owned always moved slightly. And also its always under the middle line. I haven't crossed off the CTS, gonna be replacing anyway.

(C) IAC. Considering when the motor was rebuilt 45000 miles ago, they didn't replace anything else but the essentials. I would use to hear a noise on the firewall before start up, now I don't. Also I have read that the brown IAC's are crap, and sure enough mine was brown, like crap. I changed out the brown one, when I took it out, I turned the part that turns a lil and I can feel it scraping. Which was a clear sign it was junk. I put the black one in, started it up and voila! Idles better than before.

So here is my problem And fix. Sorry Defiant if this was a waste of space but people should at least have the respect to follow up there issues if they fix them so others like me will be able to narrow stuff down. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back