The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Idle issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemilton

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I just bought a 1990 Eclipse GS Turbo about 3 weeks ago. I work a lot so I really don't have enough time to read up on forums and what not to troubleshoot my issues. When I first bought the car, I noticed that it idled funny. When I start the car, it runs at about 2grand. After it warms up for about 3 minutes, it drops to 900rpm. When I start driving it, then come to a stop light, it revs from 1grand to 1500rpm, then back down to 1g, and back up to 1500, and it does this for about a minute, then drops down to 900rpm. It doesn't seem like it's running smoothly at 900rpm, either. I have changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, radiator, and thermostat. After all these changes, it seems to be idling better than when I first bought it (because it would take a few minutes longer for it to idle back down to 900rpm), but I'm noticing that my mpg has dropped quite a bit. I noticed this about a week and a half ago, when this flex pipe that connects the downpipe to the cat, blew off from the cat. Also, after this happened, my car backfires once i get up to 5grand in 3rd gear; and this is after the oil and oil filter change, spark plug and air filter replacement. I figure that there could be a ton of things that need to be looked at, but where should i start? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Boost leak test and go through the idle surge test procedures. Post back after that is done.

Good to hear, I had the same issue for about a month and I was fed up with people giving me the run around of what it might be. So I did the same thing you did, REPLACE everything that might be the problem.

I also replaced the stock 2 1/4 downpipe with a 3 inch downpipe cat-delete, but it connects back up to the 2 1/4; if anyone knows where I can find a 3 inch catback, let me know. But yeah, it's running great!

The 60 lb cat that I ripped off was clogged up also. It wasn't even the stock cat that was hooked up. Haha, looked like it came off a 92 Lumina. I did the downpipe swap before everything else and still had a little idle surge, but it was running better. That cat created too much back pressure.

The only catback I saw on ebay for a 1g dsm was for an awd. And the only fwd exhaust that I have found in my area, on Craigslist, is for a 2g. Doesn't work. Jacked up the back of the car and put his exhaust under mine. Probably going to have to go to a local fab shop and have it custom made. I went to an exhaust shop and they wouldn't bend pipe over 2 1/2 inches. Ridiculous. I went their planning on piping out my intercooler setup.

Nope. I was going to do that next though, if my idle surge got any worse after the turbo and manifold swap. It makes pretty good sense that it fixed it; less back pressure with the downpipe cat-delete, and better exhaust flow with the tubular. I am having a separate issue entirely, though. Power steering fluid leak out of the rack. $117 for the rebuild kit . This will be fun. Not! But I just got my boost controller in today, so I'll at least have that to look forward to for tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back