The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

IAT for megasquirt install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRand

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2004
Toronto, Ontario_Canada
Just curious has anyone had any issues with heat affecting their IAC readouts when tapped into the intake manifold.

I think I"m gonna place mine right before the throttle body so I don't have to take off the IM and worry about shavings. Anyone see any problems with this?

WTF? You mean "IAT," not "IAC," right? I'll go ahead and change the title for you...

There shouldn't be any problems as long as the temperature sensing element is inside the plenum somewhat. I would be wary about using tee's and other fittings to attach the sensor, but as long as the thing is tapped directly into the manifold, you should be fine.

What do you mean by the plenum? I am doing mine aswell and I was just planning on welding a bung on the intake pipe? Bad idea?

Meh... you'd be better off putting it somewhere in the intake manifold for accuracy's sake.

You'd need to re-tap the stock sensor bung since the threads are different. And you could only do that if you completely removed the ECU.

If you don't have an EGR system anymore, tap that hole... I believe it's about the right size.

OK I dont have my EGR anymore so I can just use that hole. Hope I can get in there with a tap since everything is in the car already.

Careful with tapping while she is together (good luck tapping that in place too :sneaky: ) don't want to get foreign matter in there.

If it helps any, here's what I did with mine;

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No drill and tapping needed.

MB

Looks good! Did you just remove the vacuum port and tee'd into the brake boost line? Which one is the GM sensor the one in the middle or right? Been awhile since I looked back there! The GM sensor is the same thread as the vacuum T?

The GM sensor is on the right, he tee'd the brake booster so he could use one vaccum port for the brake booster and for the map sensor on the MSnS.

That's certainly one way to do it.

I'm wondering, for those of us who are getting rid of the stock ECU, if the MAP sensor hole can be tapped for the three-port tee...

When you mean getting rid of the stock ECU, do you mean let megasquirt deal with everything, or are you refering to controlling fuel and ignition, fans, fuel pump?

VelocitàPaola;151222342 said:
That's certainly one way to do it.

I'm wondering, for those of us who are getting rid of the stock ECU, if the MAP sensor hole can be tapped for the three-port tee...
As far as application, I see no problem with it. Mitsu uses it for a vac pull. But I just looked at an old one I had downstairs. The map hole is bigger than the stock IAT hole and smaller than the triple port hole. Obviously, you would have to come up with the tapping set-up and fitting.

Just for edification, I saved the stock stuff for emish later on.

MB

I'm not sure what all the talk is about tapping...but my sensor threaded right into the back of the intake manifold where that three prong vacuum port used to go because I had an external vacuum manifold.

We're talking about tapping the stock IAT location to get the GM IAT to fit... if one were to leave the triple-port vacuum fitting alone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back