The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Megasquirt Install problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoopySLR

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Highland, Michigan
I'm having questions/issues with wiring my voltage regulator that came with my megasquirt kit.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In the diagram they gave me(above) I didnt know how I keep my factory wiring that powers my ECU and my fuse box under the hood. I'm keeping my factory ECU to control my gauges and misc stuff for now. I wired my system like illustrated in the diagram below. I T'd off the wires coming out of the alternator.

The problem I'm having is for some reason 87 out of the relay for some reason isnt sending power out the way it should, its just doing a quick click flip from negative to positive and back. Its not a bad relay, I tried that... am I just stupid and hooking up the relay incorrectly? I was thinking of just installing another relay to power the megasquirt instead of tapping off the ASD.

One more thing, I read a post in another thread saying that I dont even need the voltage regulator if I'm not removing my factory ECU entirely. Can anybody confirm this?

One more thing, I read a post in another thread saying that I dont even need the voltage regulator if I'm not removing my factory ECU entirely. Can anybody confirm this?

That's true. If you're using both, I can imagine the ECU's internal regulator and the external regulator conflicting with one another and causing poor results.

Well, taking your advice Paul, I disconnected the included Voltage Regulator that my kit came with. It actually didnt change anything.

There is 3 LEDs on the front of the MS unit. When I turn my key only the middle one (blue LED) flashes on and off really fast once. Anybody know what lights will be on/stay on when the unit is powered up correctly? Also there is a click from the engine bay when I turn the key, it sounds like the fuel injector solenoids all clicking at once. I wired it exactly like this. The power wire (pin28) from the megasquirt being connected to the injectors like that seems odd to me. I assume the MS sends a negative pulse to fire the injectors.

Any thoughts or anybody with experience with this, please. I'm dreading the thought that my MS unit is a lemon. I checked all the grounds (pins 9,10,11,14,15,16) and the power source (pin28). The wires I dont have hooked up are the Fuel Pump, Fast Idle, and my auxiliary wire for my radiator fans, all of which are optional and not required.

Well, taking your advice Paul, I disconnected the included Voltage Regulator that my kit came with. It actually didnt change anything.

There is 3 LEDs on the front of the MS unit. When I turn my key only the middle one (blue LED) flashes on and off really fast once. Anybody know what lights will be on/stay on when the unit is powered up correctly? Also there is a click from the engine bay when I turn the key, it sounds like the fuel injector solenoids all clicking at once. I wired it exactly like this. The power wire (pin28) from the megasquirt being connected to the injectors like that seems odd to me. I assume the MS sends a negative pulse to fire the injectors.

Any thoughts or anybody with experience with this, please. I'm dreading the thought that my MS unit is a lemon. I checked all the grounds (pins 9,10,11,14,15,16) and the power source (pin28). The wires I dont have hooked up are the Fuel Pump, Fast Idle, and my auxiliary wire for my radiator fans, all of which are optional and not required.

Yes, Megasquirt controls everything by switching the devices' path to ground. The injectors and coil should be connected to the ASD relay as they are from the factory. The Megasquirt ECU needs to have continuous +12V power while cranking, as well as control over the ASD relay and fuel pump relays (if the stock ECU is no longer controlling spark). The ECU itself can only power one relay, so just have that relay switch the other relay.

The outer two LED's correspond to ignition events, while the center LED can be configured to indicate several things... by default it's usually set to indicate when the car has been warmed up.

Well, I got everything installed and she's fired up and idling now. But I have a few problems, first off I cant get any communication between my PC and my MS2. I have my USB>Serial set to com1 with 115200 BPS and my FIFO settings to 1, there is no option to set these to 0 like I read we're supposed too.

I know vista is crap and I wish I had something else... but I dont. Is my lack of 0 FIFO the problem with my connection? I've also read that you need to have matching versions of Megatune and your MS unit. I dont know how to tell what version I'm running on my MS, so any help on that subject would be great.

Secondly, my car has a misfire when its idling. I'm not all that concerned about this, due to the fact I am running my car off w/e SymTech Labs programed into my MS before they sent it too me. When my car misfires, the center light on my MS lights up.

When I start up my Megatune I get this option

I've been selecting MS2 Extra 2.0.1, idk if thats the correct one or not. Neither of the MS2 options grant me connection to my MS.

I haven't got a chance to write to SymTech Labs, who have been overly helpful with every question I've had for them during my install. I'd highly recommend them. So I'm counting on you guys for some answers before the work week starts up again. :)

Vista's not so bad, but it's backwards compatibility is rather crappy. Your problem is most likely the driver for the USB-serial adapter. If you upgrade to the latest driver available, you should be able to connect. I see you're using an adapter with the Prolific chipset. You can download the latest drivers for that here:

USB to Serial Adapter - Support

Everything else looks good to go.

Without knowing what's exactly inside the ECU, MS2 Extra 2.0.1 sounds like the correct choice. The MS1 code obviously won't work, and the other MS2 code doesn't support the 420A.

Ok, I got my 64bit vista driver now. I'll have to go try it out to find out if it works later. Unfortunately my car isnt at my house. I dont have an enclosed garage on my house and my parent's have a huge pole barn garage. I read a lot on the Megasquirt.info site under the Connection Troubleshooting section that gave me several things to look at.

Do you think I'm going to have to do some .ini rewriting like they say on that site?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back