The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A Hydro vs mechanical tensioner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdlyfe

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Summer feild, Florida
I need this figured out, I posted on forms and what not trying to figure this out but still havnt got a good answer, I have a 98 eclipse fully built on stage 2 cams u name it it's done I ALWAYS ran hydro factory ten but recent I been having timming problems with jumping 2 teeth or something around that matter the ten. was old yes for sure prob neeed replaced. I'm trying to figure out what would be best a PROBERLY installed factory tensioner or a dodge neon manual ten ? The car is a daily with race every now and then. And if the neon ten. is the best one to get what year should I ask for at auto zone or brand on Amazon?

I was asking myself the same thing a few weeks ago. Im in the middle of rebuilding my engine and I didn’t know which way to got but from what I read the factory mechanical tensioners were given a bad rep because the early ones were prone to failure. They have upgraded versions with better springs. I believe hold up pretty well. I’ve heard the the more aggressive the lift on the cam though the more strain on the tensioner. But DCR makes a billet mechanical tensioner. I just opted for the gates upgraded version as it was cost effective and I’m only rebuilding for reliability not Hp.

I have a black gates belt on my car right now so that's out of the way just trying to figure out about the ten. now, the only thing about this whole scenario is I read even with the manual ten. you still need to upgrade the spring having larger cams, I've tried looking up that and needless to say nothing came up... so I'm back to the drawing board. It blows cuz this is what is holding me up on finishing my car.

That’s what I’m saying Gates makes a mechanical upgraded tensionerthat’s what I opted for but if you’re unsure, you could give these guys a call and see if this fits the 420a I was thinking of going that route but it’s unnecessary In my case.

Attachments

• 385E301E-3765-44AC-876B-3B324F54368B.png
    385E301E-3765-44AC-876B-3B324F54368B.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 84
  • BF2D00C4-C033-4CD1-BAFF-85AFFC36D488.png
    BF2D00C4-C033-4CD1-BAFF-85AFFC36D488.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 91
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back