The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

How to tell the difference between a 90 and 91 ecu

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiteythepimp

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2007
oakdale, New_York
Long story short I bought this car (a 90 gst) and it has a 91 talon tsi awd ecu non eprom.. Looking to go eprom.. Need to find out if maybe just the casings were swapped or the whole ecu.. I know at some point the car was stolen.. The ignition column, ignition tumbler have a diff key then the car, typically pry marks on the door.. Salvaged title.. So is there a way to actually check to see if its a 91 ecu or??.. I have the ecu out and open in front of me.. Have the whole stereo part pulled for easy access to wires... HELP PLEASE!! :cry:

Easiest way would be to look at your wiring harness. There's a pinout up on VFAQ for the 1Gs, the only difference between 90-91 on that front is that two wires are swapped. Can probably look and figure out if they were switched, or if it's more likely to be the casing. I believe that there are silkscreening differences, but you'd need to read through the advanced sections, specifically the EPROM tuning forum.

I really have to ask though... did you get the car for free? A stolen salvage title car would make me more than a bit leery.

1000 bucks with a hog ported head with all titanium goodies, comp cam's, skunkworkz sprockets apr head studs, gsx trim package.. Only problems is the sun roof leaks and by the time I got it home the head gasket blew.. (figured out they didnt torque it enough).. Long story short, I ordered about 5,000 worth of shit for her.. :thumb: Only thing left is the eprom since my dsmlink will be here in about a week... And hense my little dilemma.. And I called motoguys garage, gave them a bunch numbers.. They asked me if it was the original ecu.. I told um it looked like a junk yard cause it had 91 talon written with a bunch codes (junk yard ones obviously) and he said it was from an awd tsi.. Long story short i still have all the 1g coils and all the other stuff so I dunno what to believe.. :confused: Hense my thread about it ... :beatentodeath:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back