The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How to measure a wheel off set.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miguelmcv

Supporting Member
May 3, 2009
Fresno, California
Hey guys, I was trying to find out, how to know what off set is my wheel.

I did some search and got all confused.

Here is a site where says how to measure, I have all measured, but when comes to convert inches to mm, It gets all crazy, may be I am not doing it right.

Here is the site that I am using.https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

My wheels are ev5 18 and 7.5 wide, I know they came with 45 and 38 off set, But can't figure it out what off set they are.

It measures 5.5 inch from the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad.

So 7.5 wide divided by 2 = 3.75 (center line).

5.5 (inboard flange to the hub mounting pad) - 3.75 (center line)= 1.75 inch.

I think I am good till here, But how you figure convert them to get the OFF SET?.

If you see the site (provided before), it says, to convert inches to mm just multiply by 25.4, But, 1.75x25.4 = 44.45.

So it means that my off set is 45?.

The guy who I bought it from said, they were 38 off set.

Please, can some one verify this.:cry:

Last edited:
Most accurate method is to look on the inside on the rim. It should say the offset

See, that's one of my points.

The rim doesn't have the offset, it has some number but not the offset, here are the numbers.

evo5
18/7 1/2j
via690kg
enkei-p1
and at the inboard flange has 35.

I being googling the numbers and couldn't find anything...

That might be a +35mm offset.

Yea, That's what I thought at the beginning, but I can't find any Information on a +35 offset.
They all are +38 or +45.
I know they are not making them any more, the new ones come with a different lip style.

This are the wheels, different color but they are the same (appearance).
Enkei ev5 18x7.5 offset + 45 5x100/5x114 bolt pattern w/NEW TIRES!

I forgot to mention as well,

The measures that I did were accurate.

If the wheel is +35,,,, why I am getting a different results.

I'm confused.:confused:

Your math looks correct for your offset as long as your measurements are correct. One thing you might have done wrong is measure from the outside lip. Most of the time the width will be between the inside of the two lips. So if your rim is 8 inches from the outside and you are adding that 1/2inch/7ish cm that might put your offset from 38 to 45.

On another note I've never seen a rim, aftermarket or stock, that doesn't have the offset cast or stamped into it.

Your math looks correct for your offset as long as your measurements are correct. One thing you might have done wrong is measure from the outside lip. Most of the time the width will be between the inside of the two lips. So if your rim is 8 inches from the outside and you are adding that 1/2inch/7ish cm that might put your offset from 38 to 45.

On another note I've never seen a rim, aftermarket or stock, that doesn't have the offset cast or stamped into it.

My bad.
I found them.

99gst_racer was right.
It is +35 offset, The new style came with +38 and +45 offset, which the older style came with +35, +42 and +45 offset.
I never thought it was +35 which all the new once were showing +30 and +45 offset.:ohdamn:
Here is the link where I found them.Enkei Wheels Bronze EVO 5

About the measurement I think I did something wrong.

Thanks all of you for the Help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't remember where I got this but thought it might be something you could copy for later.

Last edited by a moderator:
The key problem that you (all) are coming up against is the effect of the width of the lip of the rim on one measure and not the other. Back-spacing is from the mounting face to the inside edge of the rim's lip, so this includes the lip. Offset is from the mounting face to the center of wheel, so this ignores the lip (on the assumption that the inside and outside lips are equal).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back