The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How much to replace Crankshaft Position Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose Knuckle

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 26, 2011
Lincoln Heights, California
Easy question and sorry if its mentioned I searched but couldn't find anything.

How much would it cost to have a mechanic change the crankshaft position sensor?

Also the starter?

THANKS!

Way to much. Get a service manual, some tools, and some time. The starter on your car should be a hour deal, if that. Its right on top if the transmission on the front, toward the radiator.

I have no idea on your crank sensor though.

The crank sensor is very simple to change, it is located right above the oil filter housing on the back of the block. There is one bolt holding it in.

Thanks for the help, I was expecting the crankshaft to be much harder to install

420a - Google Search

97 eclipse gs starter - Google Search

That will give you an idea on parts pricing. Both jobs should take under an hour, however, most shops have a min hour requirement in the 2 to 3 range and hour prices should be posted... but like said above they really arn't that bad if you wanted to tackle it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for all of the help! Prices are alot better than I was expecting

tools need 10mm socket for sensor. 15mm and a 17mm socket for strater. told time should be about an hour maybe an hour an a half. shop should charge no more then 115 dollars.

Thanks guys. So i need to change my camshaft sensor or at least i think it do the clip holding the sensor plugged into the housing of the sensor is broken and doesnt hold on right. Of course cars vibrate and move arond so this leads to it comming unplugged so my question is should i just replace the whole sensor of find some heat resistant tape and tape it up until it does really need to be replaced??

If you want you can just put some rtv around the outside of the sensor where the plug fits on. From there push the plug on and let it dry overnight. That should hold it for a while until you can replace what is damaged.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back