The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

how do i tell if its a 20g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady1687

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2007
hamburg, Michigan
hey fellow dsmers.

i just wanted some quick infor and help. i am buying a 20g tdo5 housing and i need to no the difference between a 20g and a 16g. im looking for markings or things to prove it is for sure a 20g. i know if it had the tdo6 housing it would be real easy to tell but with it having the td05 housing that is the same as the 16g i think it would be easy for someone selling it to say its a 20g and it really be a 16g. if anyone knows what to look for can you please help.... thanks to you all. maybe even info like the size of the wheel and i can bring calipers or something. well thank you.

Run your finger inside the compressor housing down to the wheel, if its a 20g you will feel where it flares out from having it profiled if its a 16g it will be almost flat. *provided you are talking about a bastard 20g*

You have to measure the compressor wheel. No need to measure the turbine wheel because you already know it has a td05 turbine.

can i measure it with calipers? if so what is the size of the 16g wheel and what is the size of the 20g wheel.

can i measure it with calipers? if so what is the size of the 16g wheel and what is the size of the 20g wheel.

Please read my post, I know it is not the most technical way to do it but I have done it this way many times and has never failed. and it is easier than taking the snap ring off for the comp cover.

Please read my post, I know it is not the most technical way to do it but I have done it this way many times and has never failed. and it is easier than taking the snap ring off for the comp cover.

you say if it is a bastard 20g from sbr in your way. does your way work for all 20g's with td05. he also says it is a mitsu turbo 20g. is there a way to find out if it is a name brand 20g td05 ... from sbr, a mitsu, ext. or a ebay knock off

you say if it is a bastard 20g from sbr in your way. does your way work for all 20g's with td05. he also says it is a mitsu turbo 20g. is there a way to find out if it is a name brand 20g td05 ... from sbr, a mitsu, ext. or a ebay knock off

if it is ebay there will be poor casting quality *they are usually chinese* and its not worth the metal it was cast from. the SBR bastard 20g's are Mitsu OEM turbo's with a different compressor cover *16g*, if its a standard 20g it will be a real ugly flat faced compressor cover with a downward firing compressor cover, most are TD06H *if im not mistaken they all are unless they are bastard 20g, but I am not 100% sure*. see below

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ya that has a tdo6 housing. but besides what you have already stated is there any tips i can use to make sure i am getting a good turbo and not some junk. markings ,ext.

The best way to make sure you are getting a good turbo and not junk is to buy new.

The second option is have it in hand and maybe take it to a turbo shop to have it inspected.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back