The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Hotbits vs DSS Coilover/Koni Setup for 1G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1one

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2003
A B., Alabama
I've been searching through old susp. thread, and read my way through the 8 pg "best coilover setup for 1G thread. Towards the end someone posted a separate link for group buys on hot-bits susp. for 1G. It's an older thread so I doubt the group buy is still going on.

How does the DSS Coilover/Koni Yellow stack up to the Hot Bits coilover? Anyone using the hot bits kit for 1G? I'm not looking to be a track only car, just something that's competent at street/autox. Both seemed to be comparably priced, so any opinions on the hot bits kit would be much appreciated.

Didn't want to see a worthwhile thread go unanswered. I don't know anybody outside of that old thread that has driven on Hot-Bits yet. I'm waiting to hear some reviews myself. The Hot-Bits have larger shafts, the Bilstein valving is better than Konis, the valving is matched to the spring rates and the company is run by a championship winning rally driver. Pretty tough combination to beat.

Mach1one, did you end up buying a suspension for your car??
I am selling my set of coilovers on the classifieds section of dsmtuners. (hot-bits)

I am also trying to sell my car as well, so it's not like I didn't like the quality or anything, I haven't even picked them up yet.

I have been in a 1g with them installed, it was actually the car that won the rally event. It sure felt like the car was responsive, as well as very firm. It sure put a smile on my face. :p

http://www.motorsport-dist.com/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=17770

I wish I had the money to, I just bought some gr-2 to hold me over, since it'll be about 5-6 months before I can afford coilovers. I can't take driving around on completely blown shocks anymore. I hate not being able to launch the car like I want.

Hate to drudge up an old thread, but I also didn't feel the need to start another one. I talked with Motorsport dist. in Canada. They have a street or rally setup for 1G almost ready. Their rally setup was basically like the street, except the front was a bit softer and I believe the shocks are longer to allow for further travel. He said it's designed to only go about 1/2" lower than stock, while the street setup can go down further if desired. I talked to him for a good while, he was very helpful and very knowledgeable. I can't remember the exact rear spring #, they sounded a bit soft for the street. But then again he does know his stuff. You should be able to order custom rates.

He also hinted at another possible group buy in a couple weeks! Just wanted to give everyone a headsup.

I just installed my Hotbits street race coilovers today. The install went very quickly except for a rusted solid rear strut lower mount(Wish I had a torch). I wish I could tell you how they felt, but my motors is down to bare block right now. I can tell you that they appear to be a very well constructed peice and Peter @ Motorsports dist. is good to deal with. I can't wait to rip some curves. The only complaint I have is that the abs bracket didn't fit on the stud property, but it's nothing a little fabrication/bending won't take care of. Another thing, if you plan on using stock top plates, it's not fun to tighten the shaft nut. They have a allen key slot at the end of the shaft, which you're supposed to hold when you tighten the shaft nut to prevent the shaft from spinning in the strut seal. The only problem is that the top nut was recessed in my new factory top plates, no room for a wrench. What I did was stick a long allen wrench down into the strut shaft through a deep well socket. I then attached two vise grips, one to the deep well socket, the other to the allen wrench. Holding the allen key wrench, turn the vicegrip attached to the socket. I was able to get everthing sufficiently tight.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back