The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

HID questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC2RPM

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2009
Watertown, New_York
I am trying to upgrade my stock 95-96 headlights to 97-99 HID's. There are tons of different things on eBay for my to chose from. Projectors, CCFL, Halo's, HID, HIR, etc. I just went the best possible lighting at night for safety. I'd like to have HID's on both my high beams as well as low beams. Is there just a kit I can buy that has everything all together? (plug and play preferred) I could buy projectors off of eBay and a HID kit from a vendor, but who knows if they would be compatible. I was looking at these 1997-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Angel Eye Halo & LED Euro Projector Headlights but are they both low and high beam HID's? Are one of those everything that I need? Anyone have any advice or suggestions or know of any plug and play kits? thanks everyone! :)

They have the projector/hid combo on ebay but it isn't much better than stock, but at least it's safe and done correctly. BlurredTalon has good information, retrofit would be the bees knees but it requires a bit of work.

I am trying to upgrade my stock 95-96 headlights to 97-99 HID's. There are tons of different things on eBay for my to chose from. Projectors, CCFL, Halo's, HID, HIR, etc. I just went the best possible lighting at night for safety. I'd like to have HID's on both my high beams as well as low beams. Is there just a kit I can buy that has everything all together? (plug and play preferred) I could buy projectors off of eBay and a HID kit from a vendor, but who knows if they would be compatible. I was looking at these 1997-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Angel Eye Halo & LED Euro Projector Headlights but are they both low and high beam HID's? Are one of those everything that I need? Anyone have any advice or suggestions or know of any plug and play kits? thanks everyone! :)

The light output of those will most likely be poor and blind other drivers. You need proper projectors designed for HID's to work well. The website Blurred Talon posted is where I got mine. These will fit inside the stock headlights.

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Thanks for all the responses. I do like the retrofit style. Do they come with instructions? I also want to upgrade the entire headlight unit itself the ones I have now are all foggy. Does anyone make 97-99 projectors that are plug and play with everything already installed? Thanks everyone! :)

To be uber clean, I would buy something like what red_devil suggested, and practice the install in your current housings. Then when you know what to cut and modify, you could perfect the install in a new set of OEM housings.

The hid retrofit from theretrofitsource.com is pretty simple to install on your stock headlights, and they look oem when done which I think is awesome. If the lenses are foggy then polish them and they will look brand new.

Will they fit? Maybe, just look up what bulb a 1g takes vs. a 2g. But you don't put an "HID kit" into an OEM housing. You'd need a projector type housing to correctly use HID's. Either the whole housing or a retrofit kit which you'd modify the OEM housing to fit a projector.

I have a 98 420a model with ebay hids love them but they are crazy bright.

Just a quick question, just wondering if a 1g hid and ballast kit would work in a 2g car, I have a kit sitting in my garage from a 1g I parted out a few weeks ago

1g and 2g both use a 9006 in the low beam so it should swap right over, if it is a plug and play hid harness (meaning it plugs into the factory headlight harness on the car.

Thanks for all the responses. I do like the retrofit style. Do they come with instructions? I also want to upgrade the entire headlight unit itself the ones I have now are all foggy. Does anyone make 97-99 projectors that are plug and play with everything already installed? Thanks everyone! :)

I am also looking into the Angel Eyes Halo with led sets. These come in two flavors HID and non HID. Both sets are straight plug and play. Although I can't attest to the HIDs brightness being effective or producing the desired effects as our esteemed collegues are able.

I love the look of the halo, but I always wondered if it was enough light? Maybe using brighter fogs with them may help.

I also wanted something simple, "plug and play". Simply unplug and unbolt stock headlight, and then bolt and plug in new headlight.

I love the look of the halo, but I always wondered if it was enough light? Maybe using brighter fogs with them may help.

I also wanted something simple, "plug and play". Simply unplug and unbolt stock headlight, and then bolt and plug in new headlight.

The halos are purely aesthetic, they aren't meant to be used to illuminate ahead of you. When I had halos I just wired them up to my DRL's. They looked cool but one of the halos burnt out after about 9 months.

The avatar pic is of my old halos

The halos are purely aesthetic, they aren't meant to be used to illuminate ahead of you. When I had halos I just wired them up to my DRL's. They looked cool but one of the halos burnt out after about 9 months.

The avatar pic is of my old halos

Was driving at night kind of scary? Did you use bright LED bulbs for your fogs?

Was driving at night kind of scary? Did you use bright LED bulbs for your fogs?

No, because he used his headlights. ;)

Really, you don't use the Halos to illuminate in front of you. They just make the car look cool.

No, because he used his headlights. ;)

Really, you don't use the Halos to illuminate in front of you. They just make the car look cool.

The halo lights dont have a regular headlight feature do they? I never owned a pair or had a friend have them so I am clueless when it comes to halo's. My tsx has nice basic HID headlights. No LED strips or halo's.

The halo lights dont have a regular headlight feature do they? I never owned a pair or had a friend have them so I am clueless when it comes to halo's. My tsx has nice basic HID headlights. No LED strips or halo's.

Yes they do. The halo surrounds a projector lens (often HID). See this pic (it's a BMW, but the same idea applies).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So they're HID headlights with an extra, cosmetic lamp around the projector. Often, they serve as daytime running lights.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back