The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

HID on OEM headlighs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes, but you will blind everyone on the road because those housings are crap and can't even focus filament bulbs properly, much less focus a xenon arc to the proper spot. The glare back from rain or snow will be horrendous too, so you won't only be blinding people on the other side of the road.

Yes, and he wants to get HID bulbs that are H4, which are not real HID bulbs, D2S and D2R are real standard HID bulbs. Which is why nothing will focus right, and those eBay housings are just some Chinese cheap crap that are far from quality when it comes to optics. They won't even focus a filament bulb optimally, much less a non-standard HID bulb. Those bulbs have a lot more lumens and you are focusing all those lumens on one spot, which will blind everyone and will be horrendous in fog, rain, and snow. Real HID setups spread the light out evenly.

H4 is H4. You need the eGay H4 housings. Good luck with blinding everyone.

I would just try to find an actual HID projector that's been modded into one of those eBay housings or do it yourself. A real HID projector is astounding compared to the cheap way of doing it despite the lower candlepower. SharpHID is going to make some.

It doesn't matter if they are h4, h1, 9004, d2s or whatever the bulb app, its not the bulb that matters, they do sell the housing on eBay that has the projector in the housing, so there is no need to go cut one up and attempt to mod one yourself, unless you would like an extremely clean look you could take some projectors from a Mercedes and mod them into the housing. I would only attempt this though if you are confident in Your work and have a little extra cash to buy extras just in case you mess up the first time.

They are still generic, cheap, projectors with very little R&D and science behind them. ANY OEM projector is proper to use, not some eBay Chinese POS. I take back the SharpHID recommendation, they are just recommending doing the horrible thing and slapping an HID bulb into a rectangular HID housing. The bulb DOES matter. REAL HID bulbs are D2S and D2R, NOT Hx, 900x, etc. Any HID bulb that is something other than D2S or D2R are cheap knockoffs. There are many standards bulbs have to adhere to, and Hx, 900x only have standards set for FILAMENTS, NOT ARC-LAMPS.

They are still generic, cheap, projectors with very little R&D and science behind them. ANY OEM projector is proper to use, not some eBay Chinese POS. I take back the SharpHID recommendation, they are just recommending doing the horrible thing and slapping an HID bulb into a rectangular HID housing. The bulb DOES matter. REAL HID bulbs are D2S and D2R, NOT Hx, 900x, etc. Any HID bulb that is something other than D2S or D2R are cheap knockoffs. There are many standards bulbs have to adhere to, and Hx, 900x only have standards set for FILAMENTS, NOT ARC-LAMPS.

by "real" what exactly do you mean? I have a set of REAL HIDs in my bimmer and they are H1s. And I have REAL HIDs on my motorcycle. Unless you're referring to ebay adds that say HID bulbs when they are really just standard halogen.

My point is, you CAN have a real HID kit with a bulb other than a D2S or D2R. If you don't believe that then you need to do some research and get your facts straight. D2S and D2R are simply two types of bulbs. I have the same if not better light output from the lights on my bimmer than an acura TL. So my kit isn't "real"?

Taylor

An H1 projector is all built around a certain thing. A BMW projector is in no way generic. But a H1 HID is in NO WAY standard. The bulb, the projector, and whatever you can think of with the projector is all engineered together. It IS NOT going to be the same as getting an H1 HID kit from SharpHID and slapping them in those housings. ANY Hx bulb is HALOGEN. When a manufacturer wants to make an HID system that uses H1 they are straying from what H1 really is. Light output is subjective too. Did you actually measure lumens versus the area it is spread out? D2S and D2R were created for HID. An HID bulb in any other package is something like BMW did and create a whole non-standard or something eBay-ish.

An H1 projector is all built around a certain thing. A BMW projector is in no way generic. But a H1 HID is in NO WAY standard. The bulb, the projector, and whatever you can think of with the projector is all engineered together. It IS NOT going to be the same as getting an H1 HID kit from SharpHID and slapping them in those housings. ANY Hx bulb is HALOGEN. When a manufacturer wants to make an HID system that uses H1 they are straying from what H1 really is. Light output is subjective too. Did you actually measure lumens versus the area it is spread out? D2S and D2R were created for HID. An HID bulb in any other package is something like BMW did and create a whole non-standard or something eBay-ish.

OK man, problem you've got is that OP wasn't asking what hid bulbs were authentic to Mercedes and other top manufacture cars. He wad asking if he could use them in his car.

The answer OP is yes you can put hids in your car but you to need to buy new housings to install the hids.

And I'm telling him that he is going to be disappointed ,possibly constantly ticketed, and glare will be horrible when there is anything in the air that is visible, by putting HID bulbs in a rectangular housing.

Seriously why would he be disappointed, there are millions of people who buy aftermarket hid kits who aren't "disappointed" im sorry man but I really think you need to get off this subject, if OP wants to put an HID kit in his car, that is up to him and personally as I used to manage a shop who installed your "fake" hid kits, I know plenty about the hid kits that are around, so as long as OP doesn't use a cheap eBay shit $40 set, there is no reason for him not to be satisfied. And as for glare and ticketing, as long as he does things correctly, you should be fine, check with state laws and make sure HIDs are legal in your state. Most states have passed the law that you can use hids as long as it is a white or yellowish color.

No, he won't be disappointed...until it rains, snows, or is foggy...or every car on the road blinks their lights at him...or he gets tickets. There is NO point in installing a brighter bulb into a housing that focuses light to a point, and is made to focus light from a filament. It's improper and dangerous.

See now man your talking about something out off your ass here. I've ran hundreds of different hids in the rain and snow and fog, I have never had glare back and again, as long as he does it right and checks with state laws, he will not be ticketed. So please stop talking about something you know little on.

When standard sealed halogen bulbs are difficult to see with when there is bad weather what makes you think a brighter bulb with a higher color temperature will help? OP, go look at beam patterns from people doing this ghetto-rigged HID-bulb-in-an-H4-housing versus ones from actual HID projectors. The wrong way of doing it is just a damn deer spotter. The right way of doing it actually has a cutoff for the beam and spreads the light out. Every state has laws on candlepower on forward-facing lights. The very reason it's illegal to have fogs stay on while high beams are on...too much light shining forward at once.

All I can say is wow...what is the point in arguing over something like this? I guess we're out to prove how childish we can be. The question from the OP was answered, so deal with it. If you want to buy a 4x6 housing from Sharphid, go for it. If you want to buy an H4 HID setup to go with that housing, go for it. If you're satisfied with your light pattern, then you did it right. My headlights are properly adjusted and I get people blinking their lights at me with freaking Silverstars installed, big whooptie. And no, I didn't go waste money on Silverstars, they were installed in my 1g when I bought it. I've seen people install H4 HID kits that had a decent cutoff, but at the same time some people like the sleepy eye look. That helps a little with cutoff, but looks odd in my opinion. Some people run 10,000k with their popups in the down position. That looks decent to me, unless you're like me and have cracked covers from rocks and stuff. But on a lighter note, what's the point in bashing? All you're doing is giving an invite for a moderator to come in here to throw their weight around online. Plus wasting a lot of space on someone's inquiry about an HID install. But I guess the subjects been forgotten with all the back and forth bickering.

See now man your talking about something out off your ass here. I've ran hundreds of different hids in the rain and snow and fog, I have never had glare back and again, as long as he does it right and checks with state laws, he will not be ticketed. So please stop talking about something you know little on.

The glare back he is referring to, is dealing with the in ability to control the light in a non hid based housing. You end up lighting up the rain more than the road due to the broad beam.

As far as state law goes, its more of a federal law since most after market HID systems are not DOT approved.

I'm all for doing what you want but, to an extent. The only benefit I guess you could call it is, the colors you can get. Something like lighting should be done more for safety I think. The glare from a non HID based housing puts others at danger, just from the blinding light stand point.

Here is a little something I posted on a local site after a few of these very threads popping up.

Automotive Lighting, color, and you.(aka HID EXPLAINED!)

It goes through lighting, housings, color temps and how they affect the light/your visibility.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back