The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

help... 1g won't start, acc only work when car is running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperGooter

Probationary Member
Oct 29, 2008
Monroe, Michigan
I just picked up a 92 talon a few weeks ago for my new DD, and these last couple of days it has been testing me.
It blew the main ignition fuse 3 times last week, which I traced back to a shorted fan wire(fan wiring is fubar'd, so it is just hard wired to a switch.) I fixed the wire.

the fuse box right off the battery was also a little melted, so I replaced that with one off of a parts car too.

I went to pull the car out of the shop after fixing those 2 things, none of the accessories would work unless the car was running. the radio would reset every time I shut the car off also. even if the key was in the on position, only the dash lights would come on. nothing else.

I drove it home from work last night, and when I pulled onto my street, the radio started flickering. I pulled in the driveway and turned the car off. remembered about the seat belts, and went to restart the car, and it would only slow crank, like it had a dead battery. I decided to let it sit for a while, but nothing changed. the battery reads 12.1 volts, but only cranks twice, then quits. a few seconds later it will crank twice again, then quit, and so on and so on.

I replaced the ignition switch, but that didn't change anything. I am baffled, and have no idea where to even start.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

any ideas if this yellow wire is supposed to go somewhere? I'm wondering if it's supposed to go to the alternator maybe?

LOL. i yellow power wire presumably has to be laying right underneath the alternator....

Just look on the alternator, do you see a insert where that particular wire could go? that could be you problem.

If that doesnt work.....
sounds like an electrical problem with things flickering and stuff. check all your wires. Test each fuse up at the front with a vot meter, i f your getting wacky readings, then follow the wire. Wiring is a pain.

But for the car not starting, your starter could ahve gone to shit, or your alternator is blown or wired poorly. Your car has to have a working alternator to run im certain...Thats ###### why when the car was on it was making enough juice to run jusr headlights before it flickered and then wouldnt start. Check alternator free at autozone, check your battery, check your wires to alternator, check all the fuses with a voltometer up front, and under the dash.

Wiring problems suck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back