The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Headliner... what material?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickrule99

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2003
Greenfield, Massachusetts
I'm going to be doing my headliner over in black sometime this weekend- I did my last eclipse's headliner with felt, but I think it looks cheap now. I was thinking maybe vinyl, but I dont know how easy that would be to work with... and if it would be too "shiny" for the roof.
Just wondering what fabrics you guys have used to do yours over, and where I might be able to get some "real" headliner fabric.

Thanks guys.
-Nick

i used *drumroll* headliner material for mine :)

I was able to get it at my local fabric store ( jo-ann fabrics )

^ Yep, Jo-Ann Fabrics has lots of different colors of headliner material. I believe it was around $7-8 per yard.

Nick - Sorry I didnt reply to your PM yet. I've been super busy lately.
Regarding the vinyl. Mine went on easy and looked great - for about a month. Then it started sagging and then it finally fell all the way. The vinyl I bought (also got my @ Joann Fabrics) was just too heavy and even the strongest adhesive could not hold it up.

I have since obtained a new, grey headliner from a local DSMer and I am going to try to dye this one black and see how it turns out.

I'll see if I can dig up any pics of the vinyl headliner when I get home.

Alright, thanks guys. I was afraid that the vinyl might be to heavy, but I thought it would look pretty cool if it held up ok. Anyways, I got some Vinyl to do my visors and I'll just do the headliner over with actual headliner material. The local textile here doesnt have it, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere close. Thanks again.

FYI - Walmart somtimes carries fabrics also. Not sure if they have headliner material.

I stripped mine down and did it in fiberglass resin. I did not like it smooth. It looked funny with everything else in the car textured. So i got that spray on texture stuff and used that. Then paint your color. I like mine. You also dont have to worrie about fabric sagging.

I think suede would be sweet. Ever ridden in an M5? They have about the coolest interior of any car and have a sweet suede headliner. I thought about buying the fake suede(micro suede that resists stain) and combining adhesive and some stitching to get it to hang right. Just a thought though, Im sure it will get shot down by someone on here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back