The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

head/main girdle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gdanny

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2007
south river, New_Jersey
Im in the process of building my motor and I just wanted some suggestions on my set up.
Im going with-
gt35r.
dnp manifold.
Wiseco pistons, Crower Rods, Main and Rod Bearings, Main and Head Arp’s
Harmonic Balancer, Balance Shaft Removed.
Magnus Intake Manifold, 1000cc injectors, all fuel lines and 255hp fp.
All and all my bottom end is going to be fully built, and I just have something in mind that I can’t decide.
1-my head is stock, but for hks cam gears, what would be your suggestion on what to do with the head?and remember its a daily driver but still wanting to make power.

2- Would it be a good idea to get main girdle? Is it even needed on a built daily driven car?

thankx guys

1) What cams? What RPM? Depending on the answer, you may need springs. Most people run a turbo of that size on a stock head casting, but some porting or cleanup never hurts if it's done properly.

2) It's not needed with that setup. They are typically used on motors that see assloads of power and ludicrous redlines.

as far for cams, valve springs and retainers i plan on doing but im not sure of ### would go good together with the bottom end, i was also thinking about 3 angle valve job with 1mm over with valve gides, but then again i dont want to be dumpin all this money on the head befor i know a thing or tow about it.

i been tolled that i could easy run my set up on stock head but i will not make as much power as if i had some spriongs and cams?
as for reving i dont plan on going past 7 as my daily driver i whant to make it as street frendly as possibel.

and by the way thank you
rep coming your way...

At 7k stock valve train will do, unless you go with some wacky cam. I'm all about getting it all out of the way up front, room to grow, etc, but if you're on a budget, you can skip most of this work. I'd still plan for a 8k rpm redline with that turbo though, stock is 7500 after all. Either way, you need to pick a cam that suits your needs and go from there.

money is not a problem, i just dont want to do it the first, second or third time, i want to take my time ask questions and put together something that will help me make power/ work good with the bottom end.

i was leaning on hks 272's but for the hks cams they recoment hks springs.
also bc cams and there bc set of retainers and springs,

im really undesided if i should go with the 3 angle or 5 angle valve job with 1mm over valves and gides.

i defenatly will get my head port and polished.

what brand would you put your money on?

You can run either go and buy some dks 272's from ffwdconnection.com, or go and get some FP2's from forcedperformance.com

Either way you will be happy with your choice...Thats IF you want cams....

About the cams and what not...You can run less boost with cams and have a similar effect of more boost without cams....depends on what you want....I would like to try a 35r on stock cams....the power band would be shifted higher with cams...meaning the turbo will want to be spooled well past 7k...and a 35r is a boost happy turbo, so give it what it wants.....I'm getting ready to get a 30r for future usage and I'll be running a stock head besides a little polishing...

3 angle valve job or 5 angle both work fine for a daily driver...I would't worry about oversized valves or anything if you don't know too much about what your doing...Get some new brass valve guides and make sure to replace the valve stem seals...

Reading your post and looking at your profile it doesn't say you have a 6 or a 7 bolt....7 bolts do have girdles from the factory....6 bolts just have main caps..But you should be fine with that turbo choice with out a girdle...

If you are building the 7 bolt thats out of you 98 gsx then you engine already has a main girdle

thanks guys and yeah i do have the 6 bolt, i do know 6 bolt have caps and 7 bolt have the main girdle.

and i do know what im doing im just asking for opinions and also for people that have done it all, stock head, ported head,all types of cams, 5 or 3 angle valve job.

and as for valve seals i have the top end gasket kit so when i start building my motor i will replace them.
i been thinking at work and i just migth build the motor, keep the head the way it is now"stock". then make some dyno pulls and go from there start with cams and so on.

i just whant to make the most power, still beeing my street driven car.

A turbo that likes 30 psi means that it doesn't like pump gas. The heat generated from that much boost far out weighs the heat produced from an compressor run at an inefficient range. Cams give you the ability to run lower boost yet still get the flow for stock cams at higher boost. I would go for the common 272 grind so many have or fp2s. Most 272 grinds and tespecially the fp2 cam is fine with stock springs up to about 8K. An intake manifold upgrad with out a cam upgrade is a waste, IMHO. The SMIM and 272s should net you 50-70 more horsepower at the same boost with stock cams. So if you want this to be you daily driver and you want pumpgas power (low heat aircharge), you should really get a cam upgrade.

You have a 6-bolt swap. Which head do you have? Your smim matches that hea, of course. But there are a couple of really good recent threads on mild porting your 1g head. If you're looking for under 550whp and have a 1g head, I suggest sticking with the stock size valves, freshen up the 3 angle valve job from the factory, clean the bowls and the seat lip and casting imperfections. If you have a 2g head, I suggest getting a good head shop (know for porting 4valve heads) to do a mid stage port job on your head.

FWIW, no one ever complains about losing street manners when swapping to a 1g head from a 2g head. The ports ARE bigger on the 1g head and your turbo is capable of pushing 3 times the stock horsepower of a factory 4g63 turbo motor.

I hate to bench race or risk delving into the 'what mods would you buy' territory, but I think you have your head straight on enough, judging from our talks in the past.

With a GT35R, I would look into getting Brian Crower springs/retainers and a good cam. I love my BC280s, but they leave me behind with some suspicion on capital (o?) gain per dollar. I suspect an FP cam will benefit you more for a street driven car. Either way, look into degree'ing the cams you get to maximize performance.

Other than that, I would highly suggest a meth injection kit to really provide the power of a street driven (non-race-gas) car.

thankx for every ones input, i really just want to get the most power out of my set up and still having a daily driver,
as far as cams and stuff i didnt get anything but bc springs and retainers, im ether going for the fp cams or hks's only money will tell.
as far as meth every one seems to get hooked on it its like crack, i have about 3,4 guys around me with bolt ons on there cars. si turbo, cavalier turbo, rsx all motor, and they all have meth and they love it like its the best upgrade ever, i might just get it, what would be the best kit?

i looked at the snow.. something..... at extremepsi>? but i dont know to much about it, ### would you guys recomend?

and thanks every one.

can you explain me about deegreing the cam?

thankx for every ones input, i really just want to get the most power out of my set up and still having a daily driver,
as far as cams and stuff i didnt get anything but bc springs and retainers, im ether going for the fp cams or hks's only money will tell.
as far as meth every one seems to get hooked on it its like crack, i have about 3,4 guys around me with bolt ons on there cars. si turbo, cavalier turbo, rsx all motor, and they all have meth and they love it like its the best upgrade ever, i might just get it, what would be the best kit?

i looked at the snow.. something..... at extremepsi>? but i dont know to much about it, ### would you guys recomend?

and thanks every one.

can you explain me about deegreing the cam?

Do I have to do everything for you? OMG;)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/300027-bc-280-cam-degreing.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/nit...ion/303649-sucess-storys-meth-water-alch.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/296230-installing-snow-2d-meth-kit.html

Just to bring this topic back around I wanted to know about the girdle.

I'm in the process of a big engine build and I'm wondering what to do about a girdle. What do you all think? I have a stroker, getting a turbo, I'm just wondering what the pro's are of it? Is it much better than the stock mini? I have a friend who see's 10.4's without it. So what do you guys think?

Hopefully there are people on now that may answer. No one really stated how they were for 1g.

well, Im only planning between 7-8. whevever my powerband ends..... Im not rev happy but I do have a stroker.. so what do you think? Should I get one?

Do you have a 6-bolt or 7-bolt stroker?

A girdle wouldn't hurt and give you insurance on a long life with a stroker. The 7-bolt already has a girdle. What Kiggly sells a 6-bolt girdle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back