The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Having some suspension issues after hitting curb

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Ok before this gets relocated to the curb hitting thread, ive gone through several pages of it. Last night i side swiped a curb. I was being a kid and doing a burnout and my car drifted sideways into a curb going between 5 and 10 mph. So i drove home and ripped the wheel off today. I assumed it was bent so i threw it aside and put a known good wheel in its place. I inspected every component and nothing seemed bent. I did notice my lower control arm bushing seemed to be slightly torn and it diddnt have greese and dirt in the tear so i assume it was a fresh rip. But that was the only thing i noticed. After inspecting everything and putting my wheel on, i took it out for a spin. The only thing i noticed was when i hit the brakes the car makes a sound like the brake rotor is dragging only its more of a rubbing/grinding sound than a squeal or the brake dust gaurd rubbing. I think it is suspension related because it only does it when i put a heavy load on the brakes and only if the car is moving forward. It also doesnt do it if i flat out slam on the brakes.. like it has a certain point where the sound will stop. Does anyone have any ideas what would make this sound?

Check rear brake caliper & slides.
Check ball joint. Bushings. Top mounts under hatch. Shock rebound.
Wheel bearing.
Wheel studs.
Examine rotor. May be damaged or bent.

Check rear brake caliper & slides.
Check ball joint. Bushings. Top mounts under hatch. Shock rebound.
Wheel bearing.
Wheel studs.
Examine rotor. May be damaged or bent.

I checked all of that. I also forgot to mention the majority was taken to the front wheel. The rear wheel diddnt have a scratch on it cause its a stock wheel with a bigger tire whereas the front is 215 35 18. I thought since the curb was only about 5 inches high that the lower control arm would have taken it the hardest. But i really diddnt know how to determine if the lower ball joint was bad.

You could have damaged the front bearing and perhaps even the hub. If it doesn't pull at all, then the knuckle and other steering and suspension components are probably fine.

You could have damaged the front bearing and perhaps even the hub. If it doesn't pull at all, then the knuckle and other steering and suspension components are probably fine.

It doesn't seem to pull any worse than before LOL. I checked the bearing and there's no slack in it. I diddnt pull the rotor off so I suppose there could be damage behind it. I have a es master bushings kit and I haven't done the front of the car yet so I suppose this is a good time to do them... I just don't want to waste my time pressing in bushings if a component could potentially be bad such as a ball joint.

This happened to me last year, not while doing a burnout but rather while turning into a road and not noticing it was all covered with black ice.

I had to replace

Wheel bearing and hub assembly
Outer tie Rod
Lower control arm

Didn't turn out too bad, my wheel has a litte scuff but it didn't dent it, I was only going maybe 5mph.

Hope this helps.

Omar Naranjo Via Sidekick 4g

Well i took literally every suspension part off today and inspected it all. No damage at all. No slack in wheel hub, no ball joint slack, no bends scrapes or rubbing anywhere to be found. It also does it all the time. Not only when breaking. Its a hum that is equally repetitive every time. I dont see how it could be a brake component being as the curb was only about 5 inches high.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back