The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Have crank, no spark..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itstopher

Probationary Member
Jan 30, 2010
Lake George, New_York
Ok, so the car is a 2G DSM (420A), there was a fire last last november in the engine compartment and now that it's getting nice out I tried to get the car going again today.

After being towed home the car was squaling and buzzing from the fuse box in the engine compartmentand the dashboard. The dash lights were not working (flashing randomly with key movement and clutch or brake pedal movement). The car did start though, then I replaced the burned wires and it still started. The throttle cable needed to be replaced though, so I ordered one and the car sat for three days. After changing the cable the car will not start. I have crank, but no spark. Today I checked every fuse in both boxes (replaced a few and the squaling sounds are all gone-except when the ignition is set to he on position).

Having the problem start so suddenly after sitting a few days makes me think it's not the plugs or distributor cap. Pretty sure they are just not receiving power. My best idea right now is to check to see if the ecm is getting power, and see if it's functioning correctly, not sure how I would go about this. \

Or it could be a relay? Wasn't sure how to test these, or if any would affect my situation. But, when the car still started one of the relays's was vibrating/buzzing in the fuze box (even after removed), and no longer does.

Any input is really appreaciated, I'm very new to working on cars (I've changed breaks, oil, and put in a few stereos...).

Edit: Forgot to mention, along with the wires that burned away, a ground wire burned away too which I never replaced (was just connected from the inake maniold to chassis? Not sure if this could suddenly cause the no start? I'll attach a picture of what I mean, and ignore the wiring it's all I had for a quick fix.)

IT STARTED!! Did not know that the engine ground was so essential, googled it because the electrical manual was so vague! Happiest day of my life? I think so!

Attachments

• p_00105.jpg
    p_00105.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back