The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 2gNT Crank, No Start, No Spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimmonsX63

Probationary Member
Aug 31, 2022
Prairie Grove, Arkansas
Hello,

I have a 1999 Eclipse N/T, Yesterday went to start it and it just cranks. I am getting fuel but no spark. It rained the day before, idk if that has anything to do with it but figured it may be important. First thing i did was unhook the battery terminals and connect negative and positive together for 30ish mins to reset the ECU. Which cleared the codes. But i know it was having a multiple cylinder misfire code, figured it needed a tune up. But back to the point, I am only getting 5v to the coil pack, no breaks in the wires from coil pack to ECU. Everything seems to be functioning correctly other then that. No blown fuses, ran good two days ago, parked it, now wont fire. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Check your connections to your Camshaft positioning sensor and Crankshaft Positioning sensor. I bet you have some loose connections, broken and or corroded wires. Also it is a 1999 so hook up an OBD 2 scanner and see what codes are going off. Let me know what it was plus these kinds of posts are good for the community. No spark scenerios with a car cranking over are actually pretty uncommon.

Hey Brian,

So here's what i did to figure out my issue. So, Like i said, it was a crank no start, no spark. First thing i checked was coil pack, my biggest problem was, i unhooked the battery, so no codes, and it never threw another code while testing and cranking. I checked voltage out of every ignition involved wire out of the ecm. Mines a non turbo so ecm is under the hood behind the headlight on the drivers side. Upon checking the voltages coming out of ecm, i discovered that the crankshaft position sensor was not pulsing. So then i went through the systems that might have anything to do with that. Everything checked out good.

So i lifted up the right side, took off the passenger front wheel and tire. The sensor location is right above the oil filter on the back side of the motor. Its a single 10 mm bolt. I pulled the sensor out. It looked good visually(which is good cuz ive heard they can get crushed due to crank walk). So i hooked my multimeter up to the sensor and stuck a bolt to the end of it and the system didnt close.

So of course i call the parts stores. Its special order. Luckily i know a guy over at Autozone and he was able to get me one over night at no extra cost. I just got done installing it. Fired right up, no lights, no misfires. Problem solved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back