The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GS to GST! What parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got an idea...just do the damn swap and shut us all up :rolleyes:

XMasta19 said:
I got an idea...just do the damn swap and shut us all up :rolleyes:

Yeah really, how many times have we been through this already?

InfiniteGSX said:
What part do I need to pull off of the GST to convert my GS?
Simply put, every single piece in front of the dashboard on the GST, precision measuring tools, precision welding equipment, a minimum of five years' fabrication experience, and a full year of labor, working 40 hours a week on the project, to convert your GS.

Technically, the conversion can be done, but the general consensus is that it is not worth it for any reason other than to say you did it. There is no benefit to doing it, whatsoever, aside from being able to say, "I actually did it." When you're done, you'll have countless hours and dollars wrapped up into the project and you'll be left with a used 4G63T in your DSM with little to no mods installed on it.

If I were you, I would snag the following off the GST for the GS:
-interior
-rear disc brakes and/or suspension (you'll need the arms for the rear sway bar)
-catback exhaust (if you don't already have an upgrade)
-rear deck spoiler

Then part out the GST. You could likely get...
-$500 for the long block
-$200 for the transmission
-$200 for the ECU (if it's EPROM)
-$300 for the stock GST wheels (if they're in good condition)
-$300 for the shell (would make a nice race project)

That's a good chunk of change to put into a turbo system for the GS. It will still take a lot of work on your part, but the benefits will be much more realistic and beneficial to you. You will gain a great deal of experience working on the engine without having to concern yourself with making the car run again, and you will make money to play it smart with your GS.

That's what I would do. :shrug

i know this is an old thread, but i have to comment. This guy's non turbo, is probably his daily driver, why try and push someone into hacking their car up, thinking that he can do it, when all he is going to do is mess his car up, and not have a car at all, and have 2 junk cars. I can't believe some of you guys, juses. The guy is a newb, and posting in the n/t forums, that are what they are for, the people that havn't been around the car seen for long. This guy has no idea what he is getting into, anf we have people telling him that he can do it, shame shame.

bryanwheat said:
i know this is an old thread, but i have to comment. This guy's non turbo, is probably his daily driver, why try and push someone into hacking their car up, thinking that he can do it, when all he is going to do is mess his car up, and not have a car at all, and have 2 junk cars. I can't believe some of you guys, juses. The guy is a newb, and posting in the n/t forums, that are what they are for, the people that havn't been around the car seen for long. This guy has no idea what he is getting into, anf we have people telling him that he can do it, shame shame.
I 100% agree. I still can't, for the world of me, figure out why people are encouraging him.

I've got a guy in my home town that is thinking of attempting this swap, because he thinks he'll get big points at car shows for having done the swap, when really the judge will probably look at the car and automatically assume its a GST with a 6bolt swap.

He goes to one of the shops and is about to have them do it, and because I know the shop and know how brand new they are I'm trying to talk to the owner to have him research it and find out if its really worth there shop time to do it, even if they guy is paying.

i think he would get more points by turboing the 420A, but what do i know:rolleyes:

GSGoinFast said:
I think the old saying If you have to ask, your not ready to do it applies. I wouldn't even attempt it if I were you.
It can be done... it has been done... It's up to him. I do not personally own a DSM any more but my personal preference would be to swap the suspension. No matter what you do to a GS it will always be a GS. As for insurance, if you have a salvage title that means you could run just liability, some states liability amounts are the same no matter what car you drive.
On the other hand though if the suspension is screwed up, obviously the connected parts everything near it has gone through some sort of strain and pressure. Moving everything to the GST would be easier. On the safe side though I would replace just about everything to be sure. .02

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back