The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G grinding going into 2nd and 5th gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgmtboarder

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 17, 2008
Bozeman, Montana
ok ive read alot about grinding gears and all that. but my car seems to be a little different. my car grinds going into 2nd gear and 5th gear. the gears drive perfect when in gear, but just going into them are rough. any thoughts of what would cause this? shift linkage? clutch adjustment? tranny? please help!

What are you 're mods??

Funny story..I had the same problem a really long time ago. Turns out when you shift into second and fifth the shifter's counterweight swings out in an awkward angle. I had a 2.5" intercooler piping setup and it just so happened that the way it sat in the engine bay every time I shifted into second and fifth gear the counterweight would hit the piping. This caused an incomplete gear selection and it would scratch second and fifth every damn time.

I moved the piping over, re-did the couplers, and ta-da no more grinding.

Pop that hood open and check it out!

Well in that case it's the synchros in the transmission. Like I said before they slide in the same position/angle so that must mean they share some sort of tranny part with one another.

Start looking into getting a new tranny or go for a good rebuild already.

If you continue to let it grind it will get to the point where it will not stay engaged in the gear. When it grinds it is wearing down the dog engagement teeth on the hub/slider and the gear itself. Every time it grinds think of money coming out of your pocket because it's only going to get more expensive to repair if you continue to let it grind.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back