The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Grinding going into 2nd gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TurboTalonFWD

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2007
Fort wayne, Indiana
Before i had the problem with seizing my engine when i would go into second gear it would grind then go into gear the guy i bought it off of mentioned some pin but i think he was lying what you guys think syncros or something else? 2nd gear pulls fine just grinding noise going into it let me know what you guys think and lead me to some links thanks in advance!

Check the slave cylinder if rod is fully extended then you wont have play going into a gear and it will grind that was my problem

when i get my new engine put in im gonna look at the rod and maybe try some pennzoil syncromesh and see if thats it if not im gonna get a second gear put in any ideas on prices?

My second gear also grinds. To keep mine from grinding I double clutch it in order to go into second. Its just a temporary fix until I pull the trans out and apart for a rebuild, but it works.

You probably wiped out the synchro blocker ring. This will cause the synchro slider to grind into the dog teeth on the gear. You will probably have to replace the synchro blocker, hub and slider, and possibly gear if the dog teeth are damaged.

Double synchro 2nd GEAR- $80
Double synchro blocker rings- $70
Hub and slider kit- $110

Jack

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back