The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Glowshift Tinted 7 Color Gauges & A-Pillar Pod

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I ordered the 7 color tinted glowshift gauges with 3 gauge a-pillar pod. This is for my uncle's GS-T, but It's practically my car since I have done all the installations on it, including this one. ROFL

It came today, and general impression of the company/brand is very positive.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The shipping was very professional. As seen above.

The packaging of the gauges was also very sleek and professional as seen above.

Above is a picture of the pillar pod. I have arguably the "best" a-pillar pod on my GSX which is the Lotek/Gaugepod.com brand. It too is a 3gauge pod. So how does it compare? It's pretty darn good. The only complaint with the Glowshift brand is there are no holes, so you have to make your own when you mount it. It also doesn't come with screws and screw caps like the Lotek does. But those do NOT justify the extra price of the Lotek, so the Glowshift is GREAT! As for fitment, also PERFECT! As you can see in the pictures below:

The last pic of the 3 above you can see I already mounted it with screws.

This pod should REPLACE the stock pillar, as you can see if you do that it fits PERFECTLY, I have test fitted it over the stock pillar and IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP Also it will be much more secure as it is mounted to the a-pillar frame. Also you get to retain an unhacked stock pillar for sale or if you ever decide to go to stock. Of course you have to drill new holes and it adds extra work, but I believe this is the best way, most clean way. If you find it too difficult to do this, wait till you actually do more serious mods, OR just get the add on pillar and not this one which obviously is a perfect replacement.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/redturboeclipse/DSM/Glowshift Gauges/gauges05.jpg

The pictures above are of the Oil pressure gauge. As I mentioned it is the tinted 7 color model. Also pictured is the included Oil pressure sender unit. You can see in average light, when off nothing can be seen. However in bright daylight you can make out some of the numbers, but still too difficult for reading normally.

Here is the back of the pod and how I did the wiring.

Here are the gauges mounted and done. As you can see in daylight you can make out the the numbers, but hard to read. These tinted series ALWAYS have to be on to make anything out. As you can see there is some glare, but its not too bad.

Here is the switch I incorporated with the gauges. Because the gauges have to be on all the time, and not an incandescent light like the cheaper autometer gauges, I could not install it like the old way with the headlight and the dimmer. Why? Because these gauges always have to be on to be able to read clearly during the day, and if I hook it up to the headlight/parking light switch, then that means I would always have to have the headlight/parking light on during the day. Which I did not want. So with my install, The gauge lights up when IGN on, but at night on if I ever want to not be seen riding dirtay with the gauges, I flick the switch OFF. The switch also has a built in LED to indicate ON. BLING BLING!

Now here are some more finished pictures:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/redturboeclipse/DSM/Glowshift Gauges/gauges18.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/redturboeclipse/DSM/Glowshift Gauges/gauges19.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/redturboeclipse/DSM/Glowshift Gauges/gauges20.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/redturboeclipse/DSM/Glowshift Gauges/gauges22.jpg

So how do they perform?

We just changed the oil, so I did not hook up the oil pressure sending unit, but I already have all the proper wires for that gauge and the water temp in the engine bay. The water temp gauge did not come with the radiator hose T, but it did come with the sensor to plug into. We need to get adapter for the hose before we install the water temp.

How bout the boost? Before this boost gauge, we had a Greddy 60mm Mechanical Boost Gauge, pretty good comparison if you ask me. The glowshift boost gauge reads the same. Dead on.

As for the button you see on the gauges. That button is to change the color on the gauge. It has several (7) different colors. The gauge remembers the last color you had on there when the car is off (ASSUMING YOU KNOW HOW TO INSTALL IT RIGHT). There are also 2 settings where it CYCLES THROUGH THE COLORS, 1 way in an abrupt sudden change to the next color, and another setting where it smoothly changes color in a transition effect. VERY COOL!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GLOWSHIFT!

And remember, REPLACE THE STOCK PILLAR, NOT INSTALL OVER IT, THAT WAY SUCKS. :)

Hopefully this review was helpful, there were hardly any good pictures of the product and install, so hopefully this will help others who are curious about buying these.
All the pictures were in a very nice bright day. I will take pictures at night when I get the chance.

NEXT UP: Glowshift 2 gauge cluster pod, for my beater.

Look at the pics I posted, how could it not be any more of a perfect fit? There are no gaps/opening anywhere. They are indeed better as a replacement than an add on, but obviously can be installed either way.

Yea the non-tinted will be much better in the daytime. But if the color you have in the daytime is white, its not too bad. I forgot to mention, the gauges come with this visor for the gauges, to keep glare out, we didn't put it on because I didn't like how it looked, its not too bad, but VERY nice addition for Glowshift to add that for no extra charge

Kinda like this: but just a teeny bit more visor coverage.

As for the amber color, THERE IS NONE. The closest thing to our stock color is Red and Yellow, unfortunately there is no inbetween of that, would be amber/orange.

Below is a picture of ALLLLLLLL the color settings. I will post a video later if I'm not too lazy. I believe I detailed as much as I can with these gauges, hopefully it helps everybody interested.

Well, as I stated the tinted 7 color really must be on all the time to be visible during the day. Unlike the traditional way to wire up the light for the gauges: hook it up to cig lighter/headlight switch.

Although you can still hook them up the traditional way, this would mean that you would have to drive during the day with your headlights/parking lights on all the time, and not forget to turn them off when you park, just so you can make out what the gauges are reading.

I did not want to do that.

I really enjoy the dimming function, but again because of the afore mentioned, it wouldn't be the most convenient. I like to be able to dim the light, at night just incase I pass a car/cop that I don't want doing a double take because they see bright gauges, although that should be the least of most DSMers worries right? Just perhaps the hope of adding more chance of not being pulled.

So to achieve what I wanted, I needed to have it hooked up when the car was on. At first I was going to hook it up to the radio power. This would work, but then with the key on ACC the gauges would be on. So I figure it would be perfect to hook it up to IGN on.

This way it the gauges would simulate the dummy lights on the cluster, as they too only turn on while on IGN on.

The switch was easy to hook up. I just got your standard basic SPDT switch. On/Off. The one I got had an LED, so there was an extra ground wire that I had to connect.

The gauges, all have a wire that needs to be hooked up to CONSTANT 12volt. That is the memory wire, so when you turn the car off than on again, it remembers what color you had it to. I hooked that up, to the big white wire in the ignition switch. Turbo timer and alarm installs should have you familiar with which wire that is.

The other wire on the gauges are the ignition switch wire. For some strange reason, the boost gauge had 2 ignition switch wires, I just connected both to the same, no problem. These wires connected to the switch ON connection. The switch I got as I mentioned had 3 connectors labeled: POWER/ACC/GRND. It has an LED so of course it needed its own power source. The POWER on the switch I connected to the IGN1 wire (black/white), the ACC had all the gauges IGN ON connected to it, and the GRND obviously to ground.

Gauges only come on when key switch is to IGN ON, if anytime you want to go low profile at night, flick the switch to off, and gauges go OFF.

Here is a good pic to show how they are in the day time ON, with the white color. We focused on the boost gauge:

Look at the picture above, that is how its going to look while you are driving in the day time, under the white color setting. Imagine using a different color, it will be a bit more dim. There is glare as you can see. If you have bad vision, or find that too difficult to read, tell them you don't want the tinted lens, its the same style, same 7 color option, just clear lens.

---------------

For more information and testimonials from other users, check out the original thread:

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258463

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back