The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Getting CEL with code P1500

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnetwork

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 25, 2006
New Milford, New_Jersey
I'm getting a check engine light after driving over 100 miles everytime. I clear it and it comes back after driving over 100 miles. I put my logger on and it's a P1500. I already know the description is "Generator FR Terminal Circuit Malfunction" because the logger tells me this, but what does that mean. I searched the forums and have no idea what this means. THe alternator is pretty new.. changed it in the fall...

There is either an open circuit in the generator fr terminal circuit or your engine control module has failed. You may want to take it to a Mitsubishi dealer and let them look at it. Check the control module (ECM) and see if there is any damage. Older Mitsubishis (mostly 89-94) had under-rated capacitors in them that would overheat and cause damage to the board.
Good luck

There is either an open circuit in the generator fr terminal circuit or your engine control module has failed. You may want to take it to a Mitsubishi dealer and let them look at it. Check the control module (ECM) and see if there is any damage. Older Mitsubishis (mostly 89-94) had under-rated capacitors in them that would overheat and cause damage to the board.
Good luck

Lol.. took that right off here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Mitsubishi-Repair-824/P1500-code-96-eclipse.htm

LOL nope. I emailed a friend that's good with codes and he emailed that back to me. I'll have to call him tonight and ask him where he found his info. That sure looks like it word for word.

I was thinking about your trouble this afternoon. I don't know what wire it is but there is one in your ALT 4 wire plug that runs to the ECU. You might want to check that for corrosion in the plug. The is wire that lets the ECU tell the alt to charge.

Update:

I've also been having problems where my votage will drop to the low 12's while idling or even driving.. I changed the alternator.. didn't change..

I think all this is related.. what could be causing the low voltage?? Does the ECU control voltage at all??

I've changed it twice and I still get this CEL. Also.. on warm starts.. I'll start the car and the voltage will be in the 11's till I rev the engine above 3k and then after that the voltage goes to normal ranges..

Excuse me, did you ever get this resolved. I am having same exact problem.

I haven't really got the check engine light since I changed my last alternator, but its still weird because I always had the light even when changing alternators.

i have the same issue with a car here... anyone figure out what the problem was exactally?? damn P1500 sucks! LOL

i have the same problem. It used to have an erratic voltage reading. Then it just wont charge anymore and i got a p1500. Its not the Alt or batt. its either wiring or ecu because it started over night. Will be diving into it today and ill post what i find!

Turns out rebuilt alts suck. I tried three diff alts from auto stores where the tested fine off the car but would charge on the car. I was getting a p1500 as well. Get an OEM alt and I bet your problems with be solved!

Bump for other solutions.....changed the batt, got a NEW not reman alt, and charge is at 14.00v while running. Still getting the p1500. Nothing appears wrong. The car runs well.
Since you have swapped the alternator, have you checked the wiring on the 4 pin plug on the alternator? The green wire is the sense wire sensing field for the ecu on pin 41.

Since you have swapped the alternator, have you checked the wiring on the 4 pin plug on the alternator? The green wire is the sense wire sensing field for the ecu on pin 41.

Ok i will check that thanks!

I'm getting a check engine light after driving over 100 miles everytime. I clear it and it comes back after driving over 100 miles. I put my logger on and it's a P1500. I already know the description is "Generator FR Terminal Circuit Malfunction" because the logger tells me this, but what does that mean. I searched the forums and have no idea what this means. THe alternator is pretty new.. changed it in the fall...

Its the external voltage regulator which is in front of the intake manifold to the left of the ignition coil or it is the alt. Belt that is not tensioned correctly or stretched. I had the same problem with my 97 gst and replaced both. I havent had a p1500 yet in a year. If not fixed your alt. Will drain battery and will ruin every alt. You replace. I hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back