The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Getting a new TDO6h-20g, had some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boost Demon

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
I've searched, but I was hoping to get more info and even double check some of the things I've already read. Here are my current Mods:

Aftermarket filter w/ Injen intake
Ported and clipped B16g
2.5"-3" DP
custom 3" Cat back w/ 3" cat
2.5" tubular O2 sensor housing
Bar and plate intercooler w/custom short route pipes
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
FTS AFPR set to 43psi
RC 550cc injectors
Stage III DSMchip
Halman MBC @ 19psi
AFCII
PALM'n stein logging software w/PDA
Boost gauge, EGT gauge, and blinky light

Stuff going on/being swapped:
Dejon tool 3" intake
Tdo6H-20g w/internal waste gate
2g 60mm TB
PTE 680cc injectors
updated chip
Motor mounts
Spec stage II clutch
Fidanza flywheel
FP2 cams
Here are the questions I was hoping I could get answered:
Will the bigger throttle body help the spool up of the turbo even with the addition of the cams? I'm hoping to hit full boost under 4,000 rpms
What is a good point to start tuning this turbo at 15psi or lower?
I went with the internal gate because the car is registered in Cali, so I was wondering if anybody would mind weighing in on their experience with the internal WG and also the daily driveability of it on 91 octane. Thanks:thumb:

I dont think it will fully spool under 4000 rpms. If it did that would be ALOT of power. We tried that on our STi with tdo6 20g with 3" inlet and it fully spools between 4000-5000 rpms. I think you are set man, awesome mods!

Also: Only thing i didn't see on there that I think you should get is DSM link. but you are good to go man :thumb:

Ok now i dont belieave the throttle body will make your spool uptime any faster i have seen 20g's hit full boost as low as 4500 and that still hits hard and you will love teh response now for the tuning aspect i would start at 15lbs and work from there and what will you be tuning the 20g with only the afc and a chipped comp i would recommend either dsmlink or my favorite an hks vpc so you can tune it right. Now i wish i could help with the wastegate but im not to familar with those specs but i would like to have that question answered myself b/c thats the turbo im looking into getting for my setup....good luck...and have fun tuning !!!

I've had pretty good luck so far tuning with the S-AFCII and chip. I like DSM Link, but I just don't have the money for it right now and I'm sure I can get her going pretty fast with out it:) . I was kinda hoping that the spool up would be sooner, but oh well, maybe that means I'll be getting better gas mileage (I doubt it :p). Any body else have any input?

Phil,

The 20G's are hellatious top end turbos. I think the information you've received on full spool is fairly accurate. The sensation of power is entirely different and much more linear than the on/off nature and hard hit of the 16G. Once you get used to it, you should end up being happy with the arrangement. Keep in mind that what may help you create faster spool in the future is a tubular exhaust manifold.

Let us know how it goes,

Andy

Well I guess its true moding leads to more moding:D . I can' t wait to put it on, it sounds like fun:). I've got a tubular 2.5" O2 sensor housing and a 2.5"-3"DP w/ 3" exhaust so I was hoping that someone could tell me whether or not they experienced any boost creep with the internal WG and if so, at what amount of boost did it stop once they were at a comfortable amount of boost for daily driving. So not what it crept up to, but how high did they have to move the boost up until they didn't experience any creep issues:dsm: .

Just wanted to to update those looking into possibly getting a TDO6H-20g, since there doesn't seem to be many of us running them, much less using the 20g turbo in general :( . I've finally got everything together and this thing really hauls, I have added DSM Link and a tubular manifold into the mix. The bad thing with the manifold is that I have two broken exhaust studs right next to each other now, so I'll be doing a 1g head swap soon and installing a set of SS manifold studsto fix that problem (I have black exhaust gas that shows up on my mvalve cover to remind me :mad: ). I went to the track before I could do a leak test and only managed a 13.1@103mph with a 1.8 60ft time off of my best overall TS @ 20psi. When I got back I did the boost leak test that I should have done in the first place and fixed two massive leaks.

As it sits right now I'm making 325hp@18psi compared to 277hp@20psi when I was at the track. I can also build 14-15psi of boost @5500rpm's on the stutterbox compared to 8-10psi at the track with the major boost leaks I was having, it's honestly a wonder how the car could even run:confused: . The Spec clutch, so far, has yielded me two 1.7 60 ft times and this was from my first time ever at the track, so I'm pretty happy about that and best of all I reach full boost by3900-4000rpms:rocks: in case you were wondering and regularly flowing 36lbs./min on 91 octane and the car still wants to pull really hard past 7500rpms. I'll update this thread before I hit the track at the end of next month. In the mean time I'm trying to tune for as much boost as I can on the street with 91 octane and a good 10.5:1 a/f ratio on my AEM UEGO gauge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back