The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G gear set questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allmine104

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
So I bought a used unknown condition transmission from a vendor/supplier. Well drained what fluid was left to kinda get a idea of what I had and found metal flakes in the fluid..opened it up and to my surprise I found steel shift forks, welded center diff and what looks to be some evo gears, would you give me opions on wear, ect I think they also have double cone synchros
thanks

Attachments

• gearset1.jpg
    gearset1.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 73
  • gearset2.jpg
    gearset2.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 71
  • gearset3.jpg
    gearset3.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 70
  • gearset4.jpg
    gearset4.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 63
  • gearset5.jpg
    gearset5.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 71
  • gearset6.jpg
    gearset6.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 68
  • gearset7.jpg
    gearset7.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 67
So I bought a used unknown condition transmission from a vendor/supplier. Well drained what fluid was left to kinda get a idea of what I had and found metal flakes in the fluid..opened it up and to my surprise I found steel shift forks, welded center diff and what looks to be some evo gears, would you give me opions on wear, ect I think they also have double cone synchros
thanks
That is a 1990-1991.5 style gearset with a double synchro 97-99 style 2nd gear. Stock DSM ratio gearset.

What are the advantages of using that 2nd gear set? Double cone synchros? Can you tell condition from pics? I noticed a lot of clearance/play in the 2nd selector I'm thinking synchro wear...

Last edited:
Without taking it apart to actually check wear, I see 3rd and 4th look pretty decent and the 3/4 slider looks good. 1st/2nd, I see wear on the 2nd gear synchro, 1/2 slider and the 2nd gear engagement teeth. Take s look at your shift fork on both sides for 1/2 as you will likely see the wear on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back