The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Gas in Oil... Tell me there is an easy solution...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoopySLR

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Highland, Michigan
Ok, I just put my turbo kit on. I took it out yesterday and it missed once, then dies about 30 sec later. Turns over, but won't start. Took my oil cap off today and oil smells like fuel REALLY bad. I think I know what this means, but don't want to face it yet. Piston ring or worse, piston has a hole. Anyone have a "better" idea, one that would let me still drive my car.

Hmm, I'd try doing a compression test, then adding a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and test again (the way described in that VFAQ). If your results are significantly higher, then your rings are shot. Now I'm no engine builder, but if there is a hole in one of your pistons, that cylinder would have 0 compression right? So if you were to start the car, and pull out each plug wire one at a time (well, unplug, see if it runs different, plug it back in, go to the next one), that would probably tell you for sure. I don't think a piston with a hole would make a difference in how the car runs whether "its" plugged in or not (well its cylinder's spark plug).

But if you wanna try something easy and don't have access to a compression gauge, then try the "pulling out plug wires" test and see what happens. With my logic, the piston with the hole in it isn't producing any power so if you unplug it, the car will still run the same. Let me know what happens. Good luck though!

if you have fuel in the oil you might be pumping too much in and can't burn it all.

guys, it won't start. I didn't think you could do a compression test if it won't start. I'm using stock injectors and my AF gauge was ok while I was driving before it died. I keep thinking though, if its just one piston, you can run with 3... I don't know, I've come to the conclusion I'm not getting to drive it this year. This winter I'm rebuilding the entire motor, so I know (hope) I get to drive it come spring.

just a thought but i have seen it happen...
injectors my be old and spray to much, causing a flood of gas which cant all be burnt.

or, to large of injectors can cause this also, but usually only at idle.

then your computer or wiring to injectors could be defective causing the injectors to pulse at the same time and spray to much gas and not it the right order.

kinda wierd but i have seen these happen

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back