The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel smell in oil- not bad rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsiAWD91x

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hey guys I would apriciate some feed back.. i am getting fuel smell in oil and crank case.. engine has just be rebuilt and I did a compression test 2 times, both were perfect. Fuel mods are 255 walbro hp and Aeromotive FPR. 2g injectors 450 cc black tops.. car seems to be running rich even though AEM wideband and reads 14.1-15.3 at idle.. i was thinking it could be leaking injectors or bad FPR diaphram which I havenot opened yet.. i also have DSM link is there anything specific I can do or log to further diagnosis the isssue.. owned a dsm 10+ years but new to ecm link.. ton of info I could put here.. any questions please just ask

450 cc black tops
... with a Wally 255 !

You're killing and flooding the injectors with too much fuel pressure, thus a horrible rich mixture when opened.

Take the plugs out and see if they're soot black from running rich.

450s' works better when used by either a stock pump or a 190 Wally.

Wally 255's are more effective with much bigger injectors.

+1. I tried running a 255 with the stock injectors and ECMLink on a friend's GSX and we had to do a few adjustments before it ran right. AFR is important at an idle, but what is it reading at other RPM? Also, along with what DSM1G90 has said, it's not just the amount of fuel that enters the cylinder, it's HOW. I would definitely be pulling plugs as he said. If you're maxing out your injectors you're also affecting the spray pattern of the fuel. Fuel pressure, volume, injector size, fuel pump size, injector cycle times, and fuel pressure at the regulator are just some of the things that can affect the spray pattern. Before doing anything else, make sure everything is adjusted to the STOCK fuel pressure at the rail. Unless you're running a larger turbo or maxed out the boost on the stock one, I never really saw the benefit to raising the fuel pressure from stock on my friend's GSX. We did try it, but he was running the stock 14B with a manual boost controller @ 18psi. He had an Innovate LC1 and ECMLink as I said and all the logs we did suggested the stock fuel pressure was more than adequate. Now when we put the 20G, 750cc FIC's, Cold air kit, GM MAF, and 3" O2 housing back exhaust on it..... things got REAL....We were running SCARY lean on the stock pressure and had to adjust it up. We also had to play with the injector timing and cycle time tables to dial it in. All I can say is stick with stock specs across the board for now unless there are other supporting mods. Closely monitor the AFR throughout the RPM range. If you need to fatten it up at certain points, lean it out at others, etc, that's the beauty of the software you have. You're a few keystrokes away. LOG EVERYTHING. Even if you don't think a change matters, you may find out it does. Also, when making changes to the values, adjust them in baby steps. A little goes a long way....[DOUBLEPOST=1408237779][/DOUBLEPOST]Almost forgot to ask if you have done any mods or deletions to the PCV system? Are you running a catch can? What is the routing? New engine builds are known to have excess blow-by until everything settles in. If you deleted or modified the PCV system, or if it isn't operating properly, this can have a direct effect on what gets in the crank case. My last post has the process I would follow to take care of the fuel system (bear in mind that as things wear in you will have to continually monitor AFR and adjust when needed), and I would look at the PCV system closely as well. This may be compounding the issue...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back