The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel setup with new 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preludeachris

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2011
Lincoln, Nebraska
Basically I need help deciding what kind of injectors to go with. My horse power goals are 300 maybe a bit more. Im STRONGLY considering e85 as well, not sure how complicated that setup is or if I want to do it yet.

What I have (or will have soon)

small 16g
punishment racing FMIC setup
255 fuel pump
link (lite)
SS ebay exhaust

You shouldnt have too much of a problem making 300 with a 16g. You will need a fuel pump. I wouldn't recommend running e85 on such a low power goal. You will be maxing out the factory injectors on pump gas. On e85 there is no way you will be able to run the factory injectors, you will need much bigger injectors.

Anything small upgrade form a stock injectors will work. I would't go too large for that turbo. Fic 650, 750's or, other 850. I woulnd't go to big but i know other will say why not go 1,200cc or 1,600cc and be done with it but thats great if you have money to blow. But, the key is to spread your money out and utilized in other areas so "turbo system" as a whole can benefit.

300 shouldnt be a worry for a 16g,
like the person above me said, you dont need e85 or rather not benefit from it like others with much higher goals. What made you concider e85?

As for the 255 fuel pump, go with a rewired 190. The 255 will require a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, this equally more money being spent that could be used elsewhere.

Injectors? 550's-750's will be all that you need. If you can't decide between two, go bigger incase you want to up the boost later on.

you should also be looking into a 1g bov or any aftermarket one if you havn't already done so as your 2g will start leaking.

Edit: You already got the bov covered.

Goodluck!:thumb:

Its a small 16g so its not going to be that easy to hit 300HP you may need race gas or E85. Go big on the injectors, 950s cost about the same as 750s, you have Ecmlink so go big now you can dial down big injectors with link but theres nothing you can do if you get them too small exept buy new ones. Look at the dyno sheets on this site all the 14bs/small 16gs that are 300HP+ are on E85 or Race Gas.

Get at the very least 950cc injectors. I bought a set of 660's assuming they would be more than I'd ever need for a 16g, maxed out the abilities of pump gas not going nearly fast enough, and had to purchase a set of 1150's for E85.

Buying things twice is no fun. Do it once, do it right.

Wow a lot of mixed arguments here LOL :hmm:

Yes WHP is the goal

I already have the 255 pump

Since I live in a corn state e85 pumps are just about everywhere...so is e85 overkill? for 300+ whp?

E85 hard to tune?

Anything else needed besides pump and injectors for e85 fuel?

Also Iv heard about some horror stories about vapor lock and e85 anyone know anything about that?

If you live in a corn state, why not just run E85? Its cheaper, more forgiving with basic tunes, and can net more power when you want to push a tune. You're just going to have to invest in a little more injector than you would on standard pump gas. If its available, it's what'd I'd do.

Well you pretty much have two options.

Option 1: Spend a bit more time and money for a decent E85 compatible fuel system. Then you have the option to run E85 for more power, still easily able to run gasoline, and you will have a fuel setup that you won't outgrow overnight.

Option 2: Save a small amount of time and cash for a fuel system that's a tad above your needs. Your then limited to one fuel type, won't make nearly as much power (especially on a small turbo), and will lose the initial savings when (not if) you decide to upgrade to a more capable setup.

For more info on the pro's and con's on running E85, I suggest looking into the E85 Beginner and Advanced threads as well as looking up a thread called "E85 Goo".

I'd suggest at least 1000cc. If you look in the classifieds and find a good deal on something slightly larger like 1150's, or even a good set of 950's, then I wouldn't pass them up.

1000cc's and e85 is a perfect setup for a 16g. And if you ever wanna go bigger, say a 20g, you already have the perfect fuel setup. Don't be afraid of e85, the only thing I suggest doing is changing your fuel filter after a full tank of it. There really is no con in running e85 except your gas mileage will suffer a bit, but the pro's definitely outweigh that con.

I think at 22-23bs on e85 with a 16g you will be more than 300whp, as I am racing CTS-V's, G35's, and turbo
Cobalts and owning them all by a good amount. (1 car length plus)

Oh and BTW, the need for an AFPR on a 255 is a myth. I'm still on the stock one with no problems. Would I benefit from having one? Sure, but it's not a necessity.

rewired 190 650's decent front mount and link/flash for a decent tune will get you 300whp, no need to mess with e85. but on the other hand i highly doubt you will want to stop around low 300s so why not go big on injectors and fmic so you have the option for higher boost levels or larger turbo, unless this is just a dd.

Dont be like me and many others and buy injectors twice. If you get link or any other REAl tuning setup, buy atleast 1650s and be done with it. I spent well over 300 bucks on 1000s thinking, ill be on pump, i only want 400 max hp. Think again, you WILL want to upgrade and will be as mad as me when hit with the additional cost LOL. Just go big the first time. Hell, i would even suggest a wally 450 instead of a 255 if you can spring for it now.
Get an afpr, its a worthwhile addition thats cheap. Most recommend it, though i cant personally say either way as i have always had an afpr since my 1000s were installed with the 255.

Dont be like me and many others and buy injectors twice. If you get link or any other REAl tuning setup, buy atleast 1650s and be done with it. I spent well over 300 bucks on 1000s thinking, ill be on pump, i only want 400 max hp. Think again, you WILL want to upgrade and will be as mad as me when hit with the additional cost LOL. Just go big the first time. Hell, i would even suggest a wally 450 instead of a 255 if you can spring for it now.
Get an afpr, its a worthwhile addition thats cheap. Most recommend it, though i cant personally say either way as i have always had an afpr since my 1000s were installed with the 255.

Thats over kill for what I want.. no need for 400whp on a fwd.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back